Jiri gets his due

Been wondering when the Globe would clue in to write something about the player who's been getting the most raves on this list. (www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2003/12/22/welsch_steady_as_he_goes/) But I still thought they missed the boat by writing: "Welsch, who has started in 16 of the 27 games he's played in Boston, is now averaging 7.6 points per game." Wouldn't it be a lot more relevant to tell people that as a STARTER, Welsch is averaging 11 ppg while shooting 50% and nearly as well from three?

Globe did make a good point that Welsch is a better defender than he would appear. I went back and re-read the NBAdraft.net profile of him from a few years ago (www.nbadraft.net/profiles/jiriwelsch.htm), and it made a point of singling out his defense. Exciting to think that this guy is only 23. And he's been playing pro ball since he was 17.

Picking up on another recent thread, it would not surprise me at all if Marcus Banks never reaches his potential in Boston and ends up getting shipped elsewhere and thriving there, a la Chauncey and Johnson. The reason: He has no veteran mentor, nobody to show him the ropes of the league and of the position. What is Mike "Chuck" James going to teach Banks? He has no clue himself what to do.