Why Ray's Wrong (again) about a Kidd trade

Nice try Ray, but I'd be willing to put good money on the fact that if the Nets trade Kidd -- like Marc Stein suggests in his ESPN column -- that San Antonio winds up with him (though Sacramento might be able to put together a nice package too), not Boston.

First of all there's no way they trade him within the division -- even better to get him out of the conference.

Second, being under the cap -- like San Antonio wil be this summer again -- the Spurs don't have to match salaries. i expect the Spurs to off Parker + Horry + Bowen (exp. contracts to get close to Kidd's $$) and a pick or 2 for Kidd + Mourning's contract + 3rd player (i'm sure they'd like R. Jefferson, but might have to settle for Luscious Harris or Aaron Williams.

Third, i would imagine that any deal for Kidd will have to include Mourning's contract -- so for the sake of argument the C's would have to offere something like:

Banks
Perkins
Davis
Mihm + Stewart's expiring contracts

You could argue something like

Banks
Baker
Davis
plus a couple #1s

but I really don't thik NJ would do that one. Either way I think its doubtful that Ainge gives away everything he's added this year for Jason Kidd.

Finally -- as much as i love Kidd's play (and as much as I hate they've been the ones to send us home the last 2 years) I dont' know that Pierce would be wild about (a) sharing the team and (b) sharing the team with such a hated rival. maybe i'm worng, but I don't see ti.

- (the other) mark