Now what to do with Mills?

Before the Davis trade (which I really like) Ainge had 2 options -- (1) package our expiring contracts for a stud or (2) let them all run out and go after a mid-level FA. Clearly Ainge chose the former. Partly that could be because this is a weak FA class -- whereas next years is much better.

So what i'd propose doing with Mills is trading him (with scraps if needed) for a player(s) whose contract is expiring next year -- to go along with the expiring contracts of Yogi Stewart, Mihm (is he a restricted FA this summer? I'd let it ride unless he's just lights out), and Blount. My favorite -- though I doubt they do it -- would be:

(1) Mills + McCarty + Blount + 2nd Round pick ---> Dale Davis

Davis -- an inch shorter than Blount -- averages virtually the same pts & reb as Blount, and I believe could comfortably play C in the East, esp. with Mihm, Stewart and Baker to contribute. Davis is the type of veteran banger than I'd love for Hunter and Perkins to learn from (incidentally -- I'd also love for Banks to learn from Mark Jackson who's sitting at home begging for a NBA contract -- why haven't we added him?) Portland has said they want to trade but there are 3 conditions (1) better contracts (2) better people and (3) equal talent.

Mills' contract is slightly smaller than Davis', and Blount/Walta are on short money deals -- both within the 2 year window Portland has said all contracts must fit into. Blount and McCarty are the type of good people Portland wants/needs -- though so is Davis so they don't necessarily gain here. Talent appears to favor the C's end of the deal, but (a) Davis is on the downside of his career and like i said has the same numbers of the much younger Blount and (b) with Mills, Wes Person and Rasheed Wallace coming off the books this summer Portland can at least go after a mid-level FA while still moving towards getting out of the lux tax land.

Here are some other suggestions:

(2) Mills for Kurt Thomas (NY -- Thomas is not happy about coming off the bench, NY has McDyess, Mutombo, Sweetney, Harrington -- and adding Mills' contract to McDyess & Charlie Ward would allow them to be major players this summer)

(3) Mills & Jumaine Jones for Marcus Fizer & Scottie Pippen (Chicago -- it sounds like Pippen is done, might even retire this season if he can't get his knee right. Fizer -- an E. Williams type hustle player -- looks to be an odd man out now in Chicago with the addition of Antonio Davis & Jerome Williams to go with Curry & Chandler -- JJ's contract expires in 2 years which looks to be Chicago's window).

(4) 3-way with Detroit + Orlando:
Boston gets: Andrew Declercq + Tyronn Lue + Elden Campbell (for Mills + Blount + James)
Detroit gets: Gordan Giricek + Shammond Williams + Donnell Harvey + Mills (for Campbell + Williamson + #1 pick)
Orlando gets: Corliss Williamson + Mike James + Mark Blount + Detroit #1 (for Declercq + Giricek + Lue)

Pistons desperately need room to be able to resign Okur & Rebracca -- they get 4 expiring contracts
Boston gets 2 big men (Campbell + DeClercq) whose contracts expire next year with Stewardt & Mihm, and swap James for Lue (whose contract expires next summer too)
Orlando gets Detroit's #1 (they need low priced talent b/c of Hill's contract albatross), swap Lue for James (slight upgrade), Giricek (who they can't resign) for Corliss Williamson, DeClercq for Blount (a definite upgrade and gives them a starting Center). With a front line of Williamson/Gooden/Blount they should give Juwan Howard away for anything.

(5) Mills & Mark Blount for Marcus Camby (Denver)

(6) Mills for Vitaly Potapenko + Reggie Evans (Seattle -- doubt SEA would part with Evans, but they have Brent Barry as a FA)

(7) Mills for Robert Horry + Hidyet Turkoglu (San Antonio -- who could again have a lot of cap space this summer, even more with Mills)

- (the other) Mark