Re: losing LaFrentz

gene kirkpatrick wrote:

I'm glad to see that the brass have listened to the list and opted for surgery and the future.

Indeed. The only thing worse than surgery is watching Raef try to play in pain and, for the team, not knowing how much he'll be able to contribute. This is a restructuring year anyway, and perhaps it will give Kendrick a chance. Although, knowing Obie, Battie, Blount AND McCarty would have to go down first, and Grant Long would have to stay retired.

Notes on the game:

1. Heck, maybe Mike James (can I call him MJ?) can sustain this offensive production after all? As Obie-style "point guards" go, he seems one of the better exemplars, and comes cheaply, too. Of course, you have to consider the field: Milt Palacio, JR Bremer, Shammond Williams, Tony Delk, Erick Strickland - did I forget anyone? He has this unconventional-looking shot that's nonetheless very high-arcing and therefore goes in more than it probably should, given his shooting mechanics. And he certainly is thriving with another guy there to help with the point guard duties. It's almost a poor man's Iverson-Snow setup.

2. Speaking of the Celtics' own 'Eric Snow', his main problem seems to be that his shot is a bit flat, especially when he's tired. He needs to work on that. Though it thankfully had enough arc on that last 3!
Btw, I love his interviews. He is thoughtful - a sharp departure from the typically vapid, formulaic NBA post-game fare (Pierce is a good example of this).

3. I think Kedrick is coming alive again. His biggest problem is not lack of intelligence (though he's no Jiri Welsch in that regard), but an astounding (given his physical gifts) lack of confidence. Watch how he hangs his head after every miss - his body just collapses like a puppet's with the strings cut off. I think 90% of his misses are attributable to lack of confidence. It's certainly not his shooting mechanics. When he misses, he doesn't miss off to one side (indicative of incorrect form) or all around the rim (a sign of high level of error in the motor command, another way of saying that his technique is not set). It's nearly always on the right trajectory but way short, as if his muscles just shut down midway through the shot, which they probably do as he's thinking "Oh my God, what if I miss this shot?!". When he's NOT thinking that, the shot's as clean and perfect as it could be, pure string music. They need to work on his head. I would spare no expense on a good sports shrink, if I were Danny Ainge, and I don't mean "Dr." Niednagel. He has too much to contribute, potentially, not to try to fix it.

4. What's up with Baker? Flu? I hope it's the flu.

5. Will Banks get any serious PT again, now that the MJ-Jiri duo is clicking so well?

Looking forward to tonight's epic clash of the Jameses...
Kestas