Re: one apology / one question

In a message dated 12/13/03 6:14:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jozersky1@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Now I have a question.  Why in the world didn't we foul immediately last
> night?  Why let VC take a three with two seconds left?  Isn't that a basic
> strategic mistake? - Josh

Josh,

I won't try to answer for Kestas but I will answer for myself because I think
I know the underlying premise of your question.

No, it is absoluely NOT a basic strategic (read "coaching") mistake. You
NEVER allow your opponent an opportunity to put points on the board with the clock
stopped. Why in the world give them the chance to make the first FT, miss the
second FT intentionally and follow that up with an offensive rebound and
potentially score a game tying FG from close in?

You make them tie the game from a distance of 25 feet plus -- not from 5 feet
away (or possibly closer) . If he knocks down that shot, you congratulate him
and play on. The worst case scenario is that Carter hits that 3 - and the
game goes to OT but the percentages were definitely in the C's favor of chances
of the Raptors making a fall away 3-pointer from 25 feet vs a 5 footer (or
closer).

Smart coaching by O'Brien.

CeltsSteve