Re: trades

Josh, I basically agree with you (although no way Baker should have ever seen the light of day last year, let alone the ball).

Pierce and Baker should get this team 40 points a night, and that almost matches the Pierce/Walker combo. And they'll do it MUCH more efficiently. So you should have more shots for other guys and an improved offense.

So what's the problem? Well, they forget about Baker too much. The point guards look for their shots WAY too much, wasting possessions when the ball should go to Baker/Pierce or even Lafrentz, the third most talented offensive player on the team. So you're right... the team could use a legit distributing point guard. But I don't think that's coming. I think Ainge wants Banks to develop, and the only way another point guard comes in is if Mike James goes out. Otherwise, you have a point guard rotation of New Guy and Mike James, with Banks benched. That's just Obie.

I also believe Perkins should be playing. He's the team's biggest player and best rebounder. He's also, I'd submit, the best low-post big man other than Baker. Of course there will be growing pains and foul trouble. But give the kid a shot. Hunter, I'm not as sure of, but I'd like to see if he can rebound. If they're going to be non-factors on the offensive end anyway, then why not a guy who works hard and rebounds?

BUT... the small forward spot is a problem in THIS offense. Would I love to see Obie gone and a true passing game implemented? Absolutely. But, dealing with the current reality, a small forward who could knock down shots would be a huge help.

Anyway, I'm not sure anything will change as long as Obie is here. Remember, he spent the entire preseason "coaching" the running game. We see how well that worked.

Mark

--- --- ---

Josh wrote:

The thing is, the Celtics actually have more on-court
talent right now than they have had in a long time.  It's
downright criminal, especially given the current rash of
injuries, for Obie not to be playing Hunter and Perkins
AT ALL.  We don't need to import a scorer who plays
Pierce's position as much as we need a legit point guard
and a scorer who can complement pierce at the end
of games.  I wish we could somehow get hold of Michael
Finley.

As for the Celtics' need for  a second all-star...How about Vin Baker?  If not
actually an all-star, he plays one on TV, and is close to a sure thing down
low with the ball.  I'm glad Obie is
finally coming around to the truth we all knew even when Baker
was a bloated drunk.  The guy can't help us if he doesn't get
the ball!