I like Dumar's moves for the long haul

I shouldn't be  surprised when you Piston lovers slobber all over them, you
neglect to bring up that they have lost two starters off of last year's team in
Robinson and Curry. As I have said before, I think they overachieved last
year. I think losing two experienced starters will hurt them and they will fall 5
games from last year.

Yet, I really like what Dumars is doing for the long haul. His Moneyball
approach of jettisoning the older, high dollar guys who have peaked to make room
to allow the younger, cheaper guys to grow is refreshing. I think it is a great
way to run a NBA fanchise until  you know you have a champioship when you pay
whatever it takes. As I have said, this will hurt the Pistons in the short
term most likely but helps them in the long term with assets that have developed
that are cheap but with a higher value.

I believe Danny has some of this same concept building a stable with James,
Banks, Jones, Hunter and Perkins. He has his star in PP and a reliable,
economical center in Battie. However, Walker doesn't seem to fit in the Moneyball
scheme (Baker doesn't either but Danny can't do anything about that until Baker
can show he can contribute).  We will have to see what Danny does with Twan
before we can annoint him. The other problem is Obie who is the antigen to
Moneyball. His admitted adherance to "win now" at the expense of the development of
youth will never allow the Moneyball concept to work for the Cs. If Danny
really wants to try to make this concept, he must take the EWill, Twan and Delk
options away in a similar way to trading Bremer, who I think had peaked at his
max value.....

DJessen33