Na, Na, Na, Na, Isaiah, Goodbye!

What everyone but Jermaine O'Neal took as a given happened at long last, as
Thomas was fired.

I saw the reports, and everyone was saying nice things, but lets face
it.  Thomas and Bird have never gotten along, and as one person mentioned,
C's fans will forever remember the public humiliation of Pierce and Walker
at Thomas' hands during the All-Star game.  However much Bird considers
Indiana home, he's always had respect for Boston and the Celtics.  When he
coached the Pacers, Bird wanted the win even more than usual, because it
meant more to him to beat a team he held in such esteem.  Thomas' antics
last February just added fuel to the fire of realization that he was a bad
coach with no concept of how to treat his team, be it the EC All-Stars, or
the Pacers.

Some have wondered "why it took so long".  If Thomas had the IQ of a
radish, he would been aggressively pursuing other coaching or broadcasting
opportunities this summer.  I'm sure TNT, the "I Hate Boston Network",
would have loved having him.  Everyone was hoping he'd take the hint and
leave without making Bird fire him.  He probably gambled that Donnie Walsh
would override Bird and keep things status quo for at least this
season.  Bad move, as Walsh made it clear from Day One that Larry was In
Charge.  Larry's way of running a team was as far apart from Thomas' as you
can get without crossing dimensional boundaries.

The only possible impediment to having Rick Carlisle in the Pacers camp
before the ink dried on Thomas' pink slip is one of finances.  The Pacers
will pay off Thomas--and with any luck, will include a restraining order,
to boot--which means Rick has to take a financial hit in his first season
until Thomas is off the books.  I think he'll do it, as both Walsh and
Bird--unlike, say the Shinn Family--will keep their word when given, and do
right by Rick next season.

Rick has a decent history at working with players, and maybe he can get
O'Neal to stop making an unmitigated fool of himself this season.  But I'm
not expecting miracles.  At least, with a competent coach and barring
injury, Indiana is officially likely to make round 2 of the playoffs next
season.

The bad part is, Thomas will likely end up broadcasting games...waah!!

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle