contenters

We could be contenders, not that a journalist could say that because they have to take the reasonable, logical approach.  We could be contenders, not that our motley crew of list experts like to project such "wishful" thinking.  In my mind, at least, we would be contenders but for the coaching our team will receive.

A.  (as in exhibit A) We have the best player in the East.  Yeah, yeah, McGready is a thoroughbred offensive star with a great smile; I love him, too, but Paul is the best player in the East.  Kidd is second.

B.  We added significant speed and bench strength to last year's recoiling team.  Banks and Hunter, plus Jones, bring quite useful skills.

C.  Walker.  Williams.  Battie.  These old horses are due to play up to their best, and given the right minutes, they will.

D.  Danny Ainge.  Danny will be a difference maker as the season goes along.

E.  O'Brien.  Coach will most likely cause us great consternation, with his sub patterns, with his reliance on the old guard, with his lack of a real offense.  To be sure, this can cancel out all of the positives.

F.  The East ain't much better than us.  We can beat any one of them.  I think we will end up second.

Gene