Pierce and the Olympics

"In the end, USA Basketball apparently did come back to Paul Pierce in an
attempt to make amends for essentially snubbing the Celtics during
selection of the 2004 Olympic men's basketball team. When a conflicted Kobe
Bryant took himself off the roster for this month's FIBA qualifying
tournament in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and before Vince Carter was plugged in
as the Laker guard's replacement, the spot was reportedly offered to the
Celtics co-captain. It was, as one USA Basketball official has put it, the
organization's way of saying thanks to a player who had agreed to play in
the 2002 World Championships when most of the NBA's other stars were saying
no for various selfish reasons. Pierce's agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not
return calls placed to his office last week. Pierce reportedly told USA
officials that he wanted to prepare for the upcoming NBA season." Boston Herald

This story, if accurate, explains why Vince Carter ended up on the team,
and makes me wonder about the circumsances in which Pierce was asked.  At
first, when reading this, I was annoyed at Pierce for saying no, because I
think it's important to take the opportunity to represent your country
seriously.  As the article mentioned, I was put off by several athletes
who, unlike Pierce, did not want to commit to playing THIS summer in order
to go to the Olympics.  I wondered why Pierce changed his mind.

Then, I looked at the calendar.  Today is August 10.  Again presuming the
article to be accurate (not a given, but proceeding on that basis), that
means they asked Pierce in the last 10 days.  The FIRST PRACTICE is this
week, with the team gathering for the first time TODAY.  Larry Brown is on
record as saying there isn't enough time to properly
prepare.  Unfortunately, he also said they players are "sacrificing a lot
of their time this summer", which is a fallacy.  The qualifying tournament
starts in 10 days.

That would mean that Pierce, who has been tailoring his summer workout to a
season that starts in October is asked on a week's notice to play
competitive international ball with people who haven't worked together at
all.  Last season, with proper notice, he overdid it, and came into the
season tired.  At this point, it might be a disaster, with injury a near
certainty.  Not only that but the position offered to Pierce and eventually
given to Vince Carter is not guaranteed.  In other words, Pierce,
supposedly taking Kobe Bryant's place THIS summer, is not a given to be on
the team NEXT summer no matter HOW well he plays, since Kobe is still
considered a guaranteed player--assuming the legal situation is worked out
to his benefit by then.  At that, there's several other players on the
roster who would be in the same boat.

So the offer comes down to asking Pierce long after he should have been
considered to essentially be a temp player in the qualifying games but
fight for potential place with others who were asked months ago with plenty
of time to prepare.

It's a losing proposition for Pierce.  Go, and likely be embarrassed and
hurt in the process.  Plus his conditioning will be shot as far as the C's
are concerned.  DON'T go, and take shots for not being willing to
go.  Frankly, I think he ought to go, but then, Pierce has trouble getting
foul calls in THIS country.  Imagine what happens in San Juan!

It's sad, because I think he deserves to go.  But he also deserves to have
been asked way back when everyone else was, instead of the public insult
wherein his name wasn't even mentioned, despite a few experts who saw last
summer's games and knew Pierce was one of the few positive contributors.

After what happened at the All-Star Game last winter, maybe Pierce wants
someone to meet him halfway. A little respect, or at least not a deliberate
insult.  He plays well enough to be asked.  He was the first to come out
and say he'd play this summer if asked (back in February, not a week before
the team starts their few days of practice), and frankly, makes a better
representative than Allen Iverson.

At this point, he might as well work on his preparation for the NBA
season.  The Celtics, at least, definitely want him to play, and told him
so with enough time to prepare.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle