RE: Antoine's Contract

--- "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG> wrote:
> In a perfect world, sure. But it won't work that
> way. His agent will point
> to a half-dozen other players with max contracts and
> argue Antoine is worth
> more than them. And the Celtics will panic and be
> afraid Antoine will go to
> Chicago without compensation. Plus, they'll be
> afraid of pissing Antoine
> off, because he's the franchise. So they won't
> "disrespect" him by offering
> him less than the max. Unfortunately, that's the way
> it will play out. The
> really sad thing is you just know Antoine isn't
> going to age well. He logs a
> ton of minutes. He doesn't keep himself in good
> shape. He moves further away
> from the basket as he gets older. He's just not
> going to hold up well as he
> hits 30 and beyond. But the Celts won't see that.
>
> Mark

Mark,

Actually, Antione is going to age very very well...and
that's why you pay him the max (although I do agree
that a negotiation should occur so as to at least see
if there would be any wiggle room).  Antione's game is
NOT predicated on athletic ability.  It's mainly
predicated on intelligence (or, as you might say, on
what passes for intelligence).  This intelligence,
unlike athletic ability, can only grow as Antione gets
older.  Antione, at 30, will be a more important
player to this team (if he's here) than Pierce (if
he's here).  Beyond the obvious leadership qualities
he brings, I fully expect him to continue to improve
his decision making skills.  And that is all
basketball (or sports in general) amounts to; decision
making.  The better decision making skills one
possesses, the better one will perform.

As for keeping himself in shape, I guess you don't
consider the last two years as constituting an "in
shape" Antione.  If that's the case, you are being
unreasonable (or any other variety of non-flattering
adjectives).  Antione could use a defined upper body,
but it hasn't been proven to me (or anyone else) if it
is a fact that EVERYONE can possess, geneticallly
speaking, such a defined upper body (such as possessed
by J. O'Neal, for example) .  Furthermore, as was
previously pointed out, Antione's game isn't
predicated on athleticism, although it would always be
helpful to have extra strength.

Ryan.