on a variety of Celtics comments...

I was impressed with several things in the article about Coach O'Brien, the
owners, and Red.  First, they're right about the too-large numbers of
people in the locker room after the game, prompting Walker, at one point,
to plead for some space to finish getting cleaned up.

The owners were up front about realizing they likely had, and likely would
continue to, make mistakes.  They're enthusiastic, and I think they wanted
to make clear off the bat that they were, unlike Gaston, personally
interested in the team.  Maybe the effort was a little overzealous, but it
was appreciated nonetheless.  Not everyone can be Mark Cuban.  They were
forthright in taking the blame for not dealing with the coaching staff
contracts sooner, and quick to correct the error, once they realized that
it would be more of a distraction than they expected.

Jim O'Brien--to my knowledge for the first time in public--openly
criticized Gaston's and Wallace's personnel moves (or lack thereof),
declaring it a potential "disaster".  It's also the first time he has
retrospectively expressed dismay at the acquisition of Vin Baker.  That
doesn't bode well for Vinnie.

Red is taking more of an active interest in the team once more.  I had
wanted him to do so sooner, but I realized that losing his wife and brother
was tough on him.  He's not in the best of health, but I noticed he made it
out onto the court recently sans cane.  He may be slowed, but there's a
sharp mind in there, and the owners should do their best to consult Red
when necessary.

In other matters--

Why no Larry Bird in Boston?   Because if he DID show up, everyone would be
besieging him--and the owners--about Larry taking an office job with the
C's.  Larry has made clear that he wants to essentially be Red Auerbach,
and have a large degree of control over the team.  He won't get that in
Boston, and everyone knows it.  So he's wise to head off any
speculation.  He wants to run a team SOMEWHERE, and the loss of the
Charlotte franchise was a bitter pill.   I'm content that many other
Celtics greats have returned.

Last night, on ESPN, someone finally said publicly that the C's would win
this series.  Gee, what a limb to go out on, guys.

Speaking of ESPN, they had the same problem as ABC in Sunday's
broadcast.  Said problem being that they spent the whole game shilling for
the Pacers.  How they could stop Boston.  How to come back.  How much
chance they had to win the series.  What, journalistic integrity doesn't
apply to spots announcers?  Not one word of how well the C's played, how
they WERE stopping Indiana, and the fact that not only statistically, but
by virtue of outplaying and outcoaching the Pacers, the Celtics had just
about put this series away.  I hope they at least have the guts to go to
the Pacers payroll office to pick up their checks.

NBAtv.com--as of now (12:26pm EDT), still no word, still no channel.  Bleah
to the NBA for trying to play hardball with the cable companies, and double
bleah to Cox Cable for not telling people what happened.  Triple bleah to
both of them if I miss tonight's game and the C's win it here.

Bleah, bleah, bleah.

Everyone has focused recently--with good reason--on the Pacers' inability
to play a full 48 minutes.  The fact is, the Celtics have the same
problem.  Boston needs to avoid spotting Indiana these double-digit
leads.  This can happen with the old-fashioned "you're gonna have to donate
blood to get past me" defense.  Let's put the Pacers down hard and fast.

Speaking of hard and fast, I reiterate that the C's should be careful of
how the physical game is established in tonight's game.  The Pacers have no
reason to hold back, and with Artest out there, perhaps Pierce should wear
a helmet.  As a side note, I've wondered several times this season if the
time hasn't come o start making players wear SOME hind of protection for
their heads.

The game may end up being a foulfest, or the refs might overreact and put
players in early foul trouble.  Either way, the C's should expect some
really nasty treatment.  From the Pacers, too.  :>))

Boston has done an overall great job about picking and choosing when to
argue a call, and there's been a great deal of restraint on Walker's part,
to say nothing of Pierce.  If they keep their cool, Artest might just flame
out tonight.

Well, I've rambled on enough.  Back to the chocolate chip cookies.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle