Re: [Celtics' Stuff One moment I really enjoyed in this game...

At 10:52 PM 4/28/03 -0400, CeltsSteve@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/28/03 8:12:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>snoopy@celticsbeagle.net writes:
>
>>This is the reverse of last year's playoffs, when Pierce came off the
>>season hot, but got frustrated in the playoffs.  This time, he came off a
>>tough end of the season, and is exploding like Godzilla out of Tokyo Bay
>>in the playoffs.
>

>Snoop,
>
>I love that Godzilla reference.  I'm going to have to use that with my
>Laker lovin'  office associates.

I'm a big fan of the original movie--"Godzilla, King of the Monsters".  The
footage is so murky in the 1954 film that the scenes of Godzilla at night
look like newsreel footage.  I never liked the "nice" Godzilla.

>I was surprised the C's didn't try to ride Paul in the 4th quarter after
>his magnificent 3rd quarter display. He could have easily put up 50 - 55
>had they continued to milk his hot hand and just let him attack, attack,
>attack and get to the FT line.

I think it was a smart play NOT to.  They were starting to cover him again,
and by passing the pumpkin around, they were able to give him a break and
repay his hard work with some hard work of their own.  It also was bound to
confuse the heck out of the Pacers, who no longer knew WHERE the ball would
end up.  Remember also, that he may need to save some of that for tonight's
game.

>T. Buckets and Walter making shots so far is proving to be a huge factor
>this year  vs. last season's playoffs when both of them were struggling.
>Of course, both are getting consistent minutes this year as opposed to
>last year and I'm sure both are more in a rhythm now, too. As long as
>Antoine keeps acting as a decoy to draw the double team only to kick it
>back out and the team keeps reversing the ball to an open Delk or McCarty
>and they continue to make the other team pay, it will make Pierce
>completely unstoppable.  God forbid if Bremer starts knocking down his
>looks with any consistency. It'll be "Katy bar the door" at that point and
>will make the C's will be a very tough out because they will be scoring
>enough points to offset their lack on interior D.  Batman needs to stay
>healthy, too.

That's the idea, I think.  Coach O'Brien gave everyone the shock of the
season by announcing they were looking to run the ball in transition as
opposed to taking the three.   He made his playoff adjustments before the
first game even started.  The only problem was the team wasn't used to
this, and I think that's part of the reason the Pacers took early
leads--the C's need a bit to get in the new offensive groove.

I'm really hoping they take the Pacers down tonight.  If the other series
go longer, Battie can rest his knee, Pierce can have some more chicken soup
and chocolate, and the team as a whole can take a brief, well-earned rest.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle