They live up to reputations

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist, 4/25/2003

he parade of legends got things off to a good start just before the anthem and
player introductions. Red Auerbach, K.C. Jones, and Robert Parish were the
first to step onto the parquet, and there were many more - 12 in all -
including seven Hall of Famers and nine men who were standing under their
retired numbers.

After Bob Cousy, Tommy Heinsohn, Dave Cowens, and Jo Jo White came Bill
Russell. Russell, who had just given the Celtics a pregame pep talk, stopped
and gave Antoine Walker a hug.

Did the Indiana Pacers have a chance after this show of tradition and
excellence? Is there any way the 2002-03 Celtics could stink out the joint in
front of so many green gods? After a boola-boola speech from a man with 11
championship rings?

No. True to their forefathers, the parquet progeny played bone-crushing
defense, held off the only Pacer rally, and blew the game open in the fourth
quarter en route to a 101-83 Game 3 victory last night at the New Garden. The
Celtics lead the series, two games to one, and play at home again Sunday.

And who will the Pacers counter with when the series returns to Indianapolis
Tuesday night? What's the Hoosier answer to Russell and Cooz? Can we expect
Pacer management to trot out George McGinnis, Roger Brown, or Mel Daniels?
They'd probably like to unveil Larry Bird, but he belongs to us, too.

''To have them walk out there like that, well, no other team could do that,''
said new owner Wyc Grousbeck, attired in a natty, grown-up business suit.
''It's like having Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle walking across the field at the
same time. Pretty good.''

Celtics forward Eric Williams, one of six guys in double figures (another
trademark of the Russell Celtics), was certainly impressed by Russell's
appearance in the locker room before the game.

''Just to be in his presence is inspiring,'' said Williams. ''We love to have
a legend like that to come in and talk to us and we take what he says to
heart. The guy knows what it's about. He told us to clear our heads. And he
said, `If you think, don't think too much.'''

It was a perfect way to start the home playoff season in Boston. The Celtics
were not favored coming into this series, but they've outplayed the talented
Pacers, and visiting coach Isiah Thomas looks like a man without a clue.
Isiah's guys shot 31 percent and went 14:19 without a field goal when the game
got away from them in the second half. Reggie Miller (0 for 7 from the floor)
looked like Willie Mays in the 1973 World Series.

''We just played tough basketball,'' said Walter McCarty. ''We wanted to keep
them from making a run and we were able to do that and close the coffin on
them.''

There was a stretch in the first half when the Celtics fielded a unit of
McCarty, Tony Delk, Tony Battie, J.R. Bremer, and Grant Long (Russell, Jo Jo,
Cooz, Cowens, and Chief could have come down from the stands and beaten that
five) and still Isiah's men could not take advantage.

Red liked what he saw. The Celtics don't run the way they ran when Auerbach
called the shots, but sticky defense and balanced scoring were Celtic
trademarks, no less than black high tops and 13,909.

''You like to have the scoring spread around,'' said the Celtic godfather, now
85. ''I thought McCarty played real well and shot real well. He was a
presence. Battie went after it. There was a lot of energy out there.''

There was great energy in the stands as well. The Pacers didn't sell out
either playoff game last week, but the Celtics had a full (18,624) house and
there was a lot of noise in the Vault. The legends got to watch a lot of video
of themselves from the golden days and the Jumbotron operator fired up the
crowd with candid shots of Russell and Co. For a few moments, it almost seemed
like the franchise was worth $360 million. Maybe even $402 million.

This was not the first time the Celtics trotted out Russell and friends at
playoff time. They did it last spring against Philadelphia and enjoyed similar
success.

''It's great to listen to Bill,'' said McCarty. ''We listen to Bill a lot and
try to do the things he did as a player. He told us to relax and enjoy this
time. To just go out there and do it.''

So they went out and did it. It's April and the Celtics have a playoff
opponent on the ropes. Just like the good old days.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of T.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of jimmyfund_plate_alt.gif]