Re: Maxwell's number

Actually, when I look back, you have to realize that the C's actually
twisted the knife a bit for Max.  The last time a number was retired was in
1998, in the Garden.  They waited until some 15 years later, for the Fleet
Center, a place Max never played in.  Ainge, all things assuming, will be
the same, only later.

In my view, I think that it may well be Pierce's number that goes up before
Walker's does, unless they put together a few championship seasons.  Then,
it's anyone's guess.

As to the criteria, the C's have always maintained that the retired numbers
don't always go to the "Great player" but to a great Celtics player.  And
Max did, in fact, put the team on his back that grand night, and went
toe-to-toe with James Worthy, who is on his way to the NBA Hall of Fame
next fall.  Does Max belong in the Hall of Fame?  No.  In the
rafters?  Yeah, I think so.

At 06:10 PM 4/11/03 -0400, Ouellette  Steve wrote:
>Am I the only one who think retiring Cedric Maxwell's number is ridiculous? I
>loved Max, and he earned that playoff MVP award, but come on.
>
>  Then again, I suppose the rafters have long since gone from a pantheon
> of the
>great to a clothesline of the pretty-good-and-played-on-a-championship-team.
>Gerald Henderson here we come.
>
>If the Celtics don't set some kind of standards, soon, Antoine's jersey will
>be hanging up there in the future.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle