Mixed priorities in the NBA

Dave Stern got tough.  He imposed a deadline measured in weeks, not months,
and demanded that the income in the deal be reduced.  Do it our way, he
said, or we'll drop you faster than Martha Burk at a golf club membership
drive.

Too bad we're not talking about the disaster with NBAtv.com.

Nope, we're talking the WNBA, where there's gender inequities that stagger
the mind.

Here's the skinny.  The WNBA (which is owned and operated by the NBA,
meaning Davey Stern) has been operating without a contract since last
September, when the previous four-year deal expired.  Talks began in
November, but went nowhere., much as the last round of talks with the NBA
that ended in a lockout-shortened season.

Then, last Tuesday, the NBA said it was imposing a deadline of April
18.  No deal, no season.

What's the holdup?  The League's latest offer would raise the minimum
veteran salary from $40,000 to $41,200--a "whopping" $1,200.  That's per
year, not per game, folks.  It gets better.  The rookies salary would drop
from $30,000 to $25,000 per year.  The top rookies minimum would drop from
$55,000 to $40,000 a year.

They also want a hard salary cap of $616,000 for the 14 teams, unrestricted
free agency for 10-year veterans and restricted free agency for 7-year
veterans.

And what does the players union want?

A minimum salary of $48,000 for veterans and $33,000 for rookies. They're
asking for a salary cap of $750,000 per club, unrestricted free agency in
the fifth year and restricted free agency in the fourth year.

The League, at least privately, is pleading money issues, pointing to the
fact that two WNBA franchises folded this year, and two others
moved.  Plus, the NBA announced a "subsidy" of $12 million dollars for thew
WNBA.

Now, the tough talk got tougher as the WNBA predraft tryout camp was cancelled.

Now, we're not talking forking out money on the level of Pierce and Walker,
much less Vin Baker.  Some 80% of the WNBA players have to play overseas to
supplement their income.  The NBA travels by plane.  The WNBA, by bus.

So why, you might ask, should we support this idea of the WNBA at all?

Because of the memory of a franchise owner that struggled financially, to
such an extent that the League, the owners, and friends and family of the
franchise owner begged him to stop hemorrhaging money and walk away before
he went broke.

Walter Brown.

He believed in the Celtics when everyone else saw a failed franchise.  He
personally guaranteed the payroll, then extended his offer to the League by
hosting the first All-Star game.

Perhaps even more importantly, we owe it to every little girl who wants to
play basketball professionally someday.  It may even be that someday,
further down the road, someone's daughter will have her number retired with
her fellow Celtics.  But they'll need a place to start, and the WNBA, flaws
and all, is that place.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle