Rodney White

CBS Sportsline is reporting Rodney White trade for Meng
Bateer and a Denver first round pick. (see below)

I don't know the details on the Denver pick, but it
sounds like the Pistons simply bailed on Rodney White, a
guy once touted as high as the top-three in the draft. If
I'm not mistaken, Michael Jordan was really high on him.

Things being relative, Boston actually got some value for
Joe Johnson, if you consider how valuable playoff and
conference finals experience for our two young superstars
is. Plus Tony Delk looks set for up around 25 minutes per
game this year, out of necessity rather than merit thus
far in his Celtics career. I'm still looking on the
bright side. A year ago, a Rodney White+Sagana Diop draft
would have looked like a stroke of luck.

Joe H.

p.s. Caveat: Denver has a potentially horrible team, so
maybe Joe Dumars is actually getting major value out of
this reported trade. In college, Rodney White was like an
Antoine Walker minus the passing skills. A
gunner/dribbler type big forward, who could rebound a
little bit but concentrated more on his scoring.

Also, the article noted that Meng Bateer actually played
on a team called the "Peking Ducks" last year
(or "Beijing" depending on the English phonetic
spelling). That's a great one for headline writers.

***

Pistons to send forward White to Denver
Sept. 24, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT -- The Detroit Pistons will trade forward Rodney
White to the Denver Nuggets for a first-round pick and
two players, a basketball source said Tuesday.

The source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said
the Pistons will receive 6-foot-11 Chinese center Menk
Bateer and former Detroit forward Don Reid.

The source said the trade would be made within the next
few days.

White was the ninth overall pick of the 2001 draft. He
appeared in 16 games last season, averaging eight minutes
and 3.5 points.

The 22-year-old White was drafted after playing one
season at North Carolina-Charlotte.

White did not immediately return a telephone message
seeking comment Tuesday.

Detroit drafted Reid in 1995. He played four seasons with
the Pistons before signing with Washington as a free
agent in March 2000. He signed with Orlando in August
2000, and played two seasons with the Magic before being
traded to Denver in August. He has averaged 3.4 points
and 2.9 rebounds in his career.

Bateer became the second Chinese player in the NBA in
February, joining Wang Zhi Zhi of the Dallas Mavericks.

Bateer scored four points in two preseason games with the
Nuggets in October. He then returned to China to fulfill
his commitments with China's national team and the
Beijing Ducks.

Bateer averaged 22 points and 12.8 rebounds with the
Ducks.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?