My secrets to NBA head coaching success by Dr. Jack Ramsay

My secrets to NBA head coaching success
By Dr. Jack Ramsay
Special to ESPN.com

Editor's note: If anyone should know how to excel as a head coach in the NBA,
it's Dr. Jack Ramsay, who won a world championship with Portland in 1977.
Below are Dr. Jack's five factors for success in today's NBA.

1. Know the NBA game.
This characteristic sounds as if it should be a given, but the NBA game is
different from that played anywhere else. Its rules, number of games (and
travel involved), limited practice time, officiating and the ability level of
its players all combine to offer a unique perspective to coaching. The
successful NBA coach understands those differences thoroughly and uses them
to his advantage.

Let's start with the basic NBA rules. The court dimensions (94 by 50 feet
with 16-foot-wide lane), the length of the game (48 minutes), the game's
division into four 12-minute periods, the 24-second shot clock (and the
conditions for resetting it), personal-foul penalty situations, number of
personal and technical fouls necessary for ejection from the game, the
3-second lane restrictions on offense and defense, double-teaming tactics
permitted on players with and without the ball and rules governing timeouts
-- regular, 20-second and mandatory -- are all different rules and require
keen awareness by the coach. They also make for a difficult adjustment for
those coming from outside the NBA. College coaches and former players who
jump immediately into head coaching positions are often dazed by the demands
of the job.

Last season, the NBA did away with its confusing illegal defense restrictions
and gave teams increased latitude to play any kind of defense. For the first
time since 1947, teams could play zone defenses. The only restriction on that
tactic was to limit the time in the lane to less than three seconds for
players not actively guarding an opponent.It will be interesting to see what
coaches do to adapt to those rules this season. They've had a year to get
acclimated to the new freedoms, determine how they can benefit defensively
and discover how they can maximize their own offensive opportunities.

The NBA game is tough and physical, and the travel, even in these days of
charter flights, can be exhausting. The coach must work out an effective
rotation of players into and out of the game. He must get meaningful
practices in short segments of time, while being aware of the fatigue factor
with players who are playing big minutes every game. He must adjust to
officiating that is generally consistent but renders bad decisions on
occasion.The coaches who know the NBA game thoroughly and have their teams
playing their best possible game within the rules will have the best team
results. It comes from knowing the game.

2. Develop an effective game plan.
A successful coach must have a game plan that gives his team its best chance
to win. A sound game on both offense and defense is mandatory. This requires
careful analysis of team personnel to ascertain the best ways for that team
to score enough points to win while limiting opponents to low-percentage
scoring opportunities and denying them second-chance points.Although defense
is the strongest factor in team success, most coaches think of their
offensive capabilities first.

If you ask NBA coaches what they want to do on offense, they invariably say
that the fast break is their first priority. That's understandable because
fast-break opportunities are high percentage, and it's generally conceded
that a team needs those kinds of "easy scores" to win consistently. But the
fact is that most team offense is played in half court.

I coached two excellent running teams in the NBA -- one at Buffalo and the
other at Portland. I found that those teams seldom got more than 30 to 35
fast-break chances per game, but if we got that many opportunities we usually
won easily. In those days, running teams got about 100 possessions a game.
So, even when we ran at optimum level and got 35 fast breaks, we were in the
half-court game for about twice as many possessions.

So, while fast-break basketball is fun to play, exciting to watch and helpful
in the overall game plan, effective half-court offense is more essential to
winning. Every coach has his own style of half-court basketball.

The Lakers use the same triangle offense with <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=847";>Shaquille O'Neal</A> and <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3118";>Kobe
Bryant</A> that was successful at Chicago with <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=175";>Michael Jordan</A> and <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=268";>Scottie Pippen</A>.
Phil Jackson has won six championships with it, but no one else can make it
work. Utah makes maximum use of high-post and sideline screens to get the
best from <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=326";>John Stockton</A> and <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=213";>Karl Malone</A>. It is simple and fundamental ... and
very efficient. Boston's Jim O'Brien focused on his only viable scorers at
Boston, <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3253";>Paul Pierce</A> and <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3112";>Antoine Walker</A>, and managed to win a lot of games.
The kind of offense a coach uses may vary, but every scheme will work if the
concept is sound and executed with a high level of efficiency.

Strong team defense must be of the highest priority with the successful
coach. It is the difference between success and failure. Because of the high
level of offensive skills of NBA players, effective defense must be organized
on a team, man-to-man basis. There must be an interdependence among the
players. Pat Riley calls it "helping the helper." The implication here is
that there is always an off-the-ball defender ready to help the player
defending the ball and another helper ready to help the first helper. When
that kind of teamwork is in place, the basis of a sound team defense is
there.

The winning coach must also have his team prepared to employ trapping
defenses and double-team schemes for special situations, but the basis of his
defensive game must be a sound, integrated man-to-man with excellent
principles for providing weak-side help.In essence, the winning coach needs
to have a sound game plan at both  ends of the floor.

3. Teach your game.
Another vital area for coaching success is one's ability to teach his game
plan to his staff and players. Assistants must be as well-versed and
confident in the plan as the head coach. It's also extremely important for
the coach to have his best player(s) buy into that game plan. When I first
took over the Trail Blazers, I met with Bill Walton to explain the game I
wanted to play and his role in it. He seemed pleased with the theory and yet
I remember his comment as we finished our meeting.

"Coach, one last thing ... don't assume we know anything."

What he was telling me was that the Blazers -- including himself -- needed a
lot of fundamental teaching. I knew we were going to have a great team after
I heard him say that.I found the best teaching was done on a whole-part-whole
method -- that is, give the players an overall view of what the end product
looks like, break it down into its essential parts, then put all the parts
together. This requires the use of visual perceptions, verbal descriptions
and physically experiencing the whole game; then breaking that game into its
most fundamental segments and drilling them repeatedly on the practice floor.
Gradually, the parts are united into the whole game, and then the rough edges
are smoothed off.

Yes, pro players -- even the best of them -- need teaching and are receptive
to it. I found that if players feel that you can help them improve their
skills and help the team win, they'll do whatever work you ask of them.
Coordinated team play doesn't just happen. It is the result of endless hours
of teaching the individual aspects of the game, then combining those into
smooth-functioning team play.

There's an old coaching adage that says, "Don't expect something to happen in
the game if it hasn't taken place already on the practice floor." Good
coaches use all the tools at their disposal to teach their game -- hands on,
one-on-one teaching on the court; chalk and magnetic boards, video tapes,
computer printouts, team meetings, written tests, one-on-one sessions with
players, motivational techniques in the meeting rooms; practice
walk-throughs, half-court and full-court scrimmages, simulated end-of-game
situations ... whatever it takes to teach the game.

Good teaching requires open communication between the coach and his players.
Players must know what the coach wants from them and the roles each plays in
the team game. The smart coach knows how his players are responding to the
game plan and invites responses from them.A successful coach also learns from
his players.

4. Coach the game.
Some coaches are described as good "bench" coaches. That kind of coach has
gone over the game plan with his players and has simulated at practice the
game he expects them to play. The coach has also anticipated and practiced
his players on adjustments they may need to make in the game plan. So, if the
actual game takes a different turn from what was anticipated, his players are
ready. The good bench coach appears confident in himself and in his team. He
instills the feeling among his players that, if they follow his lead, they
will win.

Then, at the opening toss, these coaches focus on all the important aspects
of the game being played. They're aware of the game clock, shot clock, foul
situations, timeouts available and the flow of the game. They make player
substitutions, alter strategy, note how officials are calling the game,
notice how the game plan is working and check out opponents' strengths,
weaknesses and tendencies. They seem poised and in control of the game
regardless of the score and time remaining.

Game coaching is the defining moment for a coach. He must make appropriate
preparations for the game. He may know the game inside out, have a great game
plan, and teach it well, but if he can't coach the game effectively, he'll
never have great success. And in the NBA, there are a lot of games ... as
many as eight preseason, 82 regular season and a possible 26 more in the
playoffs!

Before beginning a new season with a good team, I remember thinking that we'd
probably win about 15 games somewhat easily, that we might end up losing 10
badly, and the rest -- all 57 of them -- would go down to the wire. Those
were the ones I felt we had to win. Setting 50 wins as something of a
regular-season standard meant that we'd have to win about 35 of the close
games to have the kind of team record that I wanted. That put a premium on
getting my players to be mentally tough, so that they'd respond with poise
and efficiency in the closing minutes of games. Once the team game was in
place, I spent a lot of practice time working on end-of-the-game situations.
I had to discover who my best clutch players were on both offense and defense
and to make necessary plans to have them involved in the critical plays that
win games.

When things are going well, success feeds upon itself and engenders more of
the same. Players who make big plays grow more confident in themselves with
each success. Winning a close game is a moment of exaltation for players and
coach. It has a great bonding effect on the team with its coach.

Repeated failure in close games requires changes in plans, adjustments of
personnel or strategy and the practice of the revised plan until success is
achieved. Successful coaches get that part of the job done, too.

5. Obtain quality personnel.
The saying that "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" applies well
to coaching in the NBA. A good coach makes maximum use of the talent that he
has, but if he has less than standard quality players, he can't win in the
NBA. In today's era of the salary cap and luxury tax, it's becoming
increasingly difficult for a coach to acquire the kind of personnel he needs
to become a winner. Many teams in the league will simply not spend money for
players if it puts them over the salary cap. And, in some cases, the coach
may not have the authority to make changes that he feels necessary. In those
situations, the coach is destined to have only mediocre-level teams.

Three of the four teams that I coached in the NBA -- Buffalo, Portland and
Indiana -- had records well below .500 the year before I joined them. Buffalo
was an expansion team beginning its third year of existence. The team's
general manager, Eddie Donovan, thought some of the young players might
develop into quality NBA talent and wanted to stay with the previous year's
roster. I agreed to try it, but our record didn't improve.

Before my second season began, we kept only three players -- Bob McAdoo,
Randy Smith and Bob Kauffman -- brought in nine new players, and the team
record improved from 21 wins to 42 and a playoff berth.

At Portland, the Blazers were entering their seventh season without ever
reaching .500. We acquired seven new players, went from 37 wins the previous
year to 49 and, with a team built around Walton and Maurice Lucas and an
excellent group of team-first players, won the NBA championship. We added
four new players to the team at Indiana and went from 26 to 41 wins and a
spot in the playoffs.I was the same coach at each location. I simply had
better players to work with when those teams improved like they did. Talent
is the coach's lifeblood. Sometimes a team needs a transfusion of new blood
so that it can live a productive life. It's incumbent upon the coach to have
as strong an influence as possible in the acquisition of talent. If he can't
have that kind of authority, it's better not to take a job where the future
is bleak or uncertain.

Not that good talent is all that is needed. Good talent has to be
well-coached, too. And there is such a thing as having too much talent --
wherein every player thinks the game should be played through him and the
result is chaos. But that's all part of the job of coaching. It's better to
have quality talent that can be molded into a contending team than mediocre
talent that can't be developed into winners.

In summary, it takes all five of those characteristics to be a successful
coach in the NBA. Even having four out of the five won't get you there.

Dr. Jack Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach who won an NBA title with Portland in
1977, is an NBA analyst for ESPN.