From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Josh Ozersky
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 12:45 PM
To: 'celtics@igtc.com'
Subject: looking for a pick-me-up?

Read Vin Baker's transcript at the Celtics site.  A long and encouraging
chat.  You know, with all due respect to Mark Berry and others, I think
a lot of people on this list have bugged out.  With the possible exception
of the year we brought Pierce onboard, this is the best offseason of the
past
ten years.  What the hell did we really lose with Kenny and Rodney Rogers,
anyway?  Both those guys are role players, and Kenny's not even a good
role player.

Shammond Williams is a mystery to me, and to the rest of us as well.  I'm
sure he can run a pick and roll as well as any other professional, however.
But the main thing is Baker.  Unless he is a complete bust, we just added a
talented big man who can basically get us 18 and 9 in his sleep.  This is
what
a third scorer is, not some guy that makes 23 foot set shots!  Baker is a
third
guy who can create his own shot down low, as well as rebound and play some
defense.  You would think, to read the way people are going on about the end
of
the bench, that we had added another Mark Blount to the team.  I don't give
shit about what went wrong in Seattle; this guy is a legitimate player.
Even when
underperforming, he is an immense upgrade over Vitaly Potapenko and Tony
Battie.

I will feel blue every time I think about Joe Johnson and Joe Forte, and how
Wallace
screwed up the draft be giving those picks away.  And I don't believe that
Kedrick
Brown will be anything more than a live body on defense and a garbage man on

offense, at least this year.  And as I said before, I don't know thing one
about Shammond
Williams except that he will hit more open jumpers than Kenny did.

But we added a third star in Baker, and from the sound of what he's saying
in his chat,
I think he's bound to put us over the top.  If Rodney Rogers was enough to
push us to the
conference finals, we have to be going farther with this guy.  I'm glad he
was a disaster
in Seattle.  Otherwise we would never have been able to acquire him in
exchange for two
players who, when all is said and done, added almost nothing to us on
offense and little
enough on defense.

Josh