re: A man with a plan?

From: Tammo29@xxxxxxx

Anyone else left scratching their head after reading this chat wrap?
Wallace sounds like he has as many questions as we do.
I don't know, I didn't get that impression at all. Wallace comes under a lot of criticism, and not all of it is deserved. Oh, sure, he's a spinmeister par exellance, that's clear. The EWill comment shows that -- sure, five years ago and before an ACL injury, he was the leading point-per-minute man at shooting forward. What kind of fool is convinced by this? It's like six degrees of separation from the truth. But, what does telling the truth do for Chris Wallace? Not much as far as I can see. People may think they have some sort of right to hear the truth from their team's GM, but that's a fallacy. I will say that the stuff Joe H. was suggesting would go over better with people, though. Everyone's a "jump shot away" or would be taken in the top ten if they were in the draft this year, or some other nonsense. It doesn't mean anything. It's just his words -- what really matters are his actions.

And I'll give him credit for them. He's got the heuvos to take a big gamble on a former All-Star who hit near-bottom. All in all, it's a pretty good gamble, given the owner's monetary constraints. I don't see how losing Rogers, not paying Strick, or not being able to get anyone but the bargain basement folks is his fault. The owner won't pay up. Given that rather ominous, but clear, constraint, Wallace has done well to take a chance on a big-money former star who may regain a part of past ability. And, he's come under budget, which we should all remember is the whole point of this franchise, from upper management's perspective.

The only time Wallace comes off as nearing the truth is when we hear things from Josh O., and even then, sometimes it's iffy. It's a bit unreasonable to expect him to be telling the truth. What do y'all want from him: "Well, we've got a lot of minimum-types, and we're hoping at least one of them might not suck real hard"? That serves no purpose. I'll admit again that the kind of statements Joe was suggesting would be better for all concerned, but I'll take what I can get.

There are sure a lot of questions this season, but what else is new? Every year, it boils down to a few core questions. This year, it seems to be about how Baker will perform, how the platoon of pg's will handle, and how the bench will contribute. I've got no questions about the captains. I only hope they stay healthy. They're going to give some top-level help to the team. If Baker can approach that, and the other core questions (including the ones I haven't thought of) can be answered in the C's favor, it'll be a great year. Not going to know until these guys get on the court.

Bird