Celtics Considering BAS (Big Argentinian Stiff) For Final Roster Spot

Why not try to get someone, who
could free up a frontcourt player on the team
for use in a trade for a point guard,
rather than this BAS....

Argentine takes shot with Celtics
Wolkowysky would add bulk up front
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 9/10/2002

Fresh off his team's second-place finish at the World Basketball
Championships in Indianapolis, Argentine forward/center Ruben Wolkowysky
visited the Celtics' training facility yesterday.

Wolkowysky worked out for the staff and will do so again today, before
he heads back to Buenos Aires. Celtics general manager Chris Wallace
said Wolkowysky was one of five or six candidates for the team's 12th
and final roster spot. By giving the 6-foot-10-inch, 265-pound
forward/center a serious look, the Celtics have signaled that their
interest has shifted from available point guards to available big men.
''Things change, but I would say there's an overwhelming likelihood that
we will sign a big man with this final spot,'' said Wallace. ''He is
very strong. I don't want to say he's as strong as Vitaly [Potapenko],
but obviously he's in the same neighborhood as him, bulk and
strengthwise.
''He can shoot from the perimeter, is a good rebounder. He's a big body
with some skill.
''We just need another body there because right now there's only four
guys in that rotation in Antoine Walker, Vin Baker, Tony Battie, and
Bruno Sundov. Upon close examination of the roster a while back, our
feelings were if we didn't get Travis Best, then the need was more for
size.
''We've been watching film of Ruben. It's one of those things that's
hard to put a timetable on. The whole thing could be handled here
relatively quickly, where Ruben or somebody else signs, or it could go
on for a little while. It's hard to predict exactly what path this
search will take.''
As of last night, Wolkowysky, 28, was the only player Wallace had locked
in for a visit. Wolkowysky played 34 games for Seattle during the
2000-01 season. He was signed by Dallas as a free agent in August 2001
but did not play in any games and was released in late November. Last
season, he played overseas for CSKA Moscow, averaging 12.3 points and
7.9 rebounds per game against Russian league competition.
This story ran on page D2 of the Boston Globe on 9/10/2002.
) Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

Wolkowyski latest candidate for C's

by Steve Bulpett
Boston Herald
Tuesday, September 10, 2002

The Celtics' search for a 12th man has focused for the time being on
Ruben Wolkowyski, a 6-foot-11 forward/center who worked out for the club
yesterday and will do so again today.

If Wolkowyski is signed, Paul Pierce could be having some nasty
flashbacks this season. Wolkowyski was part of the Argentine squad that
handed Pierce and the United States its first loss at the World
Championships.

The big man flew to Boston following Argentina's loss in the finals to
Yugoslavia.

According to Celtics general manager Chris Wallace, Mark Pope, Dean
Garrett and Jabari Smith are also in the mix for the minimum contract
the C's are offering.

``I can't really say how long this is going to go or what direction it's
going to take,'' Wallace said of the search. ``We're still looking at
things, but it was important to get (Wolkowyski) in for a workout
because he hasn't played much in the NBA.''

Wolkowyski, who turns 29 on Sept. 30, appeared in 34 games for Seattle
in the 2000-01 season. He was signed by Dallas as a free agent in August
2001 but wound up playing last season for CSKA of Moscow - the team this
year's Celtics draft pick, Darius Songaila, signed with recently.

Wallace describes Wolkowyski as ``a combination of strength and a wide
body, plus the ability to shoot the ball. He's in Vitaly (Potapenko)'s
league as far as strength and bulk, but he's probably a little more
fleet afoot.''

After focusing on a point guard as they try to complete their roster -
and coming up empty on Travis Best and Erick Strickland - the Celtics
are now looking for an extra big man to fill things out.

``In re-examining our roster the last couple of weeks, it's a concern
that there are only four 4- (power forward) and 5-men (center) on our
roster,'' Wallace said. ``That could leave us thin if we run into injury
problems down the line.''

As it stands now, Eric Williams and Walter McCarty are next on the big
man depth chart.