Re: PP raving responses...

> Pete:  Here's a hint--Steals and blocked shots are very nice, but they
> don't mean diddly when it comes to playing defense.  You're being duped
> into thinking that those stats mean that the guy's doing a job.

Well they do mean something with regard to defense.

A steal obviously gives your players extra chances to score, and a block
opposing players from scoring. Hence the justified credit given to players
who do well in these stats. Thats why they starting recording those
statistics in the first place.

In addition, someone who racks up alot of steals usually has quite a feel for
the game, and knows where he should be in relation to a teams defense.
Someone who blocks shots tends to alter more shots then he blocks. Hence
these players can actually play better then their stats indicate.

Now I will grant you that it is concievable that a player could actually play
poor defense and wrack up tons of steals and blocks. Possibly...but such a
player would have to play exceptionally poor defense with regards to other
aspects of the game.

> Erick Strickland was the best defensive player on the team this past year.
> His job was to keep his guy from scoring or making a pass to a man for an
> easy basket.  Strick's steal and block stats stink.  Why?  Because he
> concentrated on preventing his guy from taking control of the play, from
> feeling comfortable shooting or passing.

Strick was alright man..he could flop....played some solid D. He was okay on
the dribble penetration, but Iverson busted him up pretty bad. Actually Delk
was much better at that kind of thing against AI. We should have signed
Strick though.

Anyway, honestly your just seeing what you want to see..

I can tell you that from playing some ball myself if a guy is stealing the
ball from me left and right and rejecting my shots I think he can play some
D. Heck I am sure everyone on this list has played plenty of ball. So I
actually find it hard to imagine that you really truly think PP can't play D.
The guy is a nightmare...strong quick and 6'7...plus he knows how to play
ball. He would start on every team in the NBA.

 Stats like blocks and steals are indicative of the players defensive
ability. I mean lets get down to it..Great defensive players have always
excelled in those stats. Your just gonna have to deal with it. Your just
ruling out that viewpoint cause you don't like the PP. Heck even Erick
Strickland had quite a few steals.

Ben Wallace..Hakeem, Jordan, Pippen. etc...and so on all. All those defensive
guys block shots and rack up steals. So you have a hard sell saying that
those stats don't matter. Naturally the bigger guys rack up more blocks, and
less steals. But the fact remains if you want some objective means to measure
defensive ability those are about the best your gonna do.

Yeah no doubt other factors matter alot...dribble penetration, help defense
and so on and so forth. But guys who can create steals and block shots can
usually handle those other tasks. PP is no exception. For a guy to lead the
team in both blocks and steals, and actually be a poor defensive player would
take astronomically bad defense with regards to the other aspects of his or
her defensive play...and most people don't see that.

All you have going for your view is your "observations". I have stats to back
up the way  up the way I feel about PP's D.

 The guy can play the game. PP's is an all around player and a serious
basketball stud. Now granted thats not the way you feel. But if you want to
convince people your gonna have to back it up.

What coaches don't want him? Did George Karl say that (he can't play D)?
What did guys playing against him average this year? You don't posit any
proof.
Your observations just appear like the rantings of someone who has a thing
against the guy.

The fact that folks are laying the US defeat on the guy is just because he
was the best player on the team. But it was bound to happen sooner or later..

It actually shows how good he is...that he would be held responsible for the
loss.
I mean if he really couldn't play, and "coaches" know this why the heck would
George Karl give him so many minutes, or even put him on the team? Maybe you
should have told Karl that he was such a defense liability and that we should
have instead put Erick Strickland on the team.

Poor Paul..first he gets stabbed..and now...Gaston is ruining his chances at
an NBA title. Bleh.

So feel free to count me in the worship Paul Pierce camp.. Heck even Shaq
thinks he can play. I am in alright company way I figure.

Pete