Re: PP raving responses...

> I'm a Celtic Fan, Mr. Bird, and I've been distressed at the lack of defense
> over the years, and even our co-captain sagging back when others are doing
> their jobs preventing shots.  I've watched this team pay top money to
> incomplete stars, and hamstring their flexibility for many years, starting
> with Dana Barros.

Eh?

I guess you must be distressed at not watching the games then..
The Celtics had a solid defense last year statistically and in actual game
play. They beat Detroit through the application of superior defense. The
Dick Harter Defense was excellent.

As for PP he is one of the best, if not the best defensive players on the
team.
He was team leader in steals and had a large number of blocked shots. Rave
all you want..the numbers don't lie. That being said..the Celtics are likely
to suck this year...

And thats not PP's fault.  Frankly if I was PP or AW I would look to get out
of the Celtics organization. They are one of the worst in the NBA and are
surrounding the guy with Flotsam and Jetsam.

Pete

Pete:  Here's a hint--Steals and blocked shots are very nice, but they don't
mean diddly when it comes to playing defense.  You're being duped into
thinking that those stats mean that the guy's doing a job.

Erick Strickland was the best defensive player on the team this past year.
His job was to keep his guy from scoring or making a pass to a man for an easy
basket.  Strick's steal and block stats stink.  Why?  Because he concentrated
on preventing his guy from taking control of the play, from feeling
comfortable shooting or passing.

The trouble with the NBA is that shot blockers are supposed to play near the
hoop and block OTHER guy's shots who get by their man.  A blocked shot may end
up in the hands of the same team for an easy basket.  A shot prevented from
happening is a better result.  Don't be misled by those stats.

I'll tell you that 20 NBA coaches wouldn't give you 2 cents for PP's defense.
He sags, looks to pick off passes in the lane but lets his guy get away with
murder.  Have fun cheering for him if it makes you happy, but he's a lazy
defender who takes plays off all day.  Argentina made him look like a fool,
and Yugoslavia gave him the clown suit to go with it.
.