Re: more pack journalism

**I may read more into your statements but obviously I am far from being alone
in that regard on this or any other list that you have been on.  IMHO, you
make the mistake of assuming that all it takes to win, is effort.  When in
reality, in any team sport it takes MUCH more than that.  I mentioned the need
for practice, execution, precision, timing, knowledge of teammates
tendencies, etc.  I'll give an analogy.  In the world of relay races, you can
put the 4 fastest sprinters on a relay team yet still lose the race due to
poor handoffs.  They worked hard, they ran fast.  But the timing wasn't there
because they were doing their regular workouts and did not have sufficient
time to work specifically on the baton transfer.>>Cecil

LOOK.  I've said it three times.

 Talent + Teamwork + Effort = Product.

I will never doubt that teamwork is important.  My posts have said that the
NBA game is lousy on teamwork, but the plays that ARE run are effective, as
guys know where to go and what to do.

The USA team was faced with the prospect of losing this week.  They couldn't
increase practice time, they couldn't change players.  All they could do was
try harder.

Last night they gave up the 10-pt lead that they EARNED by not playing "STOP
THEM" defense.  If each player commits that his man isn't going to get a shot
off, the opponent CAN'T shoot.  It works very well.  It's not about not
letting the guy get by them, it's refusing to let a pick stop you, or on 3pt
areas, you switch immediately and force a switchback with a second defender
coming to block off the passing lane and bringing back the correct defender.
The USA, specifically a nicely rested Pierce, let Gurovic get 3 3pt shots off
UNCONTESTED.  I mean the guy had shooting room.  You just don't give that up
with 3 min in the game.

Sure, O'Neal bricked four free throws.  That will happen when you stink.  But
he had to play, with Brand out.  No excuse for lack of Defensive effort.

Next team we send will have better players, more motivation, more time
together, more team attitude AND better understanding of the rules.
Obviously, all areas need to be improved.  Some can't be done on site.

That is kinda what I mean about the precision of executing plays.  And we saw
both Argentina and Yugoslavia run some finely precisioned plays.  Those teams
played excellent games and I tip my hat to them.  But the Pierce-bashing is a
bit much.

I give credit as well.  But a 10-pt lead against a bigger team with no fear
factor and a hot streak should have been held.  Believe me, I like the Foreign
style of play better than ours and that's an issue.  But you're not going to
agree that most of the comeback points were scored off of Mr. Pierce?  He had
an awful +/- and the effect on the team was numbing from the first games of
the series.  Numbing, not inspiring.

Decide what you will.  It ain't bashing, it's illuminating the Truth.