RE: more pack journalism

Lance wrote:

Cecil pontificated that the US would win on athleticism. That's the same

attitude that allows our players to loaf on defense, stand around the

perimeter on offense and, in essence, hand a 58-game run to a team from
SOUTH

AMERICA.

There is no reason to associate athleticism with loafing on defense or any
other weakness.  But rather the ability to adapt to instantaneous
occurrences.  To adjust the body while in mid-flight to take a hit and still
convert the shot.  To use the good cross-over dribble to beat your defender
and set up a teammate for an easier shot.  To time the block correctly, etc.
Those are some of the athletic traits which the Americans are still the best
at and I suspect they will be advantageous skills as the tournament wears
on.>>Cecil Wright

I just don't understand you.  Athletes don't necessarily loaf.  I love
athletes.  I don't like players that loaf.  If we have athletes, and they
work hard, the USA should beat the lesser athletes that work hard and
together in the foreign teams.  Of course they're good moves are
advantageous skills, but if the cross-over dribble leads to a blocked shot
rather than a pass because the teammates are used to seeing the guy take the
shot no matter how much they help in position, they won't be ready for the
pass.

Somehow you read more into my statements than I'm making.  USA has better
athletes.  The Foreigns are more disciplined.  The Foreigns play hard all
the time.

If we play hard all the time, our athletes will beat their disciplined
players, but not by much.  That's my opinion.  If we learn that teamwork
would be a big boon to our quality of play, guys will join the FIBA program
earlier and learn to play together earlier and we'll be better prepared with
better athletes.  Working hard, we should ALWAYS win, as we'd not be
outranked in any area.

**I may read more into your statements but obviously I am far from being
alone in that regard on this or any other list that you have been on.  IMHO,
you make the mistake of assuming that all it takes to win, is effort.  When
in reality, in any team sport it takes MUCH more than that.  I mentioned the
need for practice, execution, precision, timing, knowledge of teammates
tendencies, etc.  I'll give an analogy.  In the world of relay races, you
can put the 4 fastest sprinters on a relay team yet still lose the race due
to poor handoffs.  They worked hard, they ran fast.  But the timing wasn't
there because they were doing their regular workouts and did not have
sufficient time to work specifically on the baton transfer.

That is kinda what I mean about the precision of executing plays.  And we
saw both Argentina and Yugoslavia run some finely precisioned plays.  Those
teams played excellent games and I tip my hat to them.  But the
Pierce-bashing is a bit much.

Have fun...play hard.

Cecil