Springer on Best Snubbing The Celtics

Here's a thought: If the C's hadn't wasted  $700 G. on McCarty,
they could have matched Miami's offer, luxury tax or no luxury tax.....

Best snubs Celtics, signs on with Heat

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 9/6/2002

Travis Best spent yesterday in Miami, and by the afternoon, he had
signed a one-year contract with the Heat. The deal is believed to be
worth approximately $1.4 million, plus bonuses.

 The veteran point guard's agreement with the Heat dealt another
frustrating blow to the Celtics, who had hoped to sign Best for the
seven-year veteran minimum of $824,935. General manager Chris Wallace
has been attempting to complete his roster and avoid paying the luxury
tax. As a result, Rodney Rogers signed with New Jersey, Erick Strickland
with Indiana, and Mark Blount with Denver. For veteran minimums, the
Celtics re-signed Walter McCarty and acquired Bruno Sundov.

Best, 30, was born and raised in Springfield and had become the most
recent focus of Boston's free agent recruiting efforts. Now, the Celtics
must regroup and go in another direction.

''We had narrowed in on that [point guard] position to see how it all
shook out among the upper-echelon players,'' said Wallace. ''Now, we are
expanding the search. We're starting to look more seriously at players
at other positions.''

It appears the Celtics may be thinking the point guards still available
would not be a significant upgrade over probable starter Shammond
Williams and reserves Tony Delk and J.R. Bremer. Although Rod Strickland
is still unsigned, he would no doubt command more than the veteran
minimum and Boston could be leery of the baggage he brings. That could
mean the Celtics pursue another big man, adding to a collection that
includes Antoine Walker, Vin Baker, Tony Battie, and Sundov.

This story ran on page D6 of the Boston Globe on 9/6/2002.
) Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.