Re: more pack journalism

<celtics@igtc.com>
> Cc      :
> Date    : Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:57:49 -0400
> Subject : Re: more pack journalism
>
>  But I think you downplay the importance of precision,
setting screens,
> picking the defender off, knowing your teammates
tendencies when jumping out
> on a defensive
> switch, timing of backdoor cuts, etc.  It takes several
months of practice for
> NBA teams to master it.>>Cecil
>
> I know you think I downplay it.  I don't.  I just think
our athletes can
> overcome it with effort.  You don't.  I guess the
outcome of the tourney will
> prove one of us right.

I must say I totally agree with Lance here, but like he
said we'll learn who's right (maybe as soon as tonight).

Watching the Princeton offense in the first half, the
game seemed like deja-vu-all-over-again. But unlike those
thrilling Celtics comebacks and near comebacks versus the
Nets, there is a far greater talent differential between
USA and rest-of-world. Stop thinking about passing like
the Kings (there isn't time for the team to gel that
way), and start playing the Celtics. In a tourney like
this, I think that's precisely the correct approach.

One other guy needs to have the simple and obvious
epiphany that Paul Pierce has had: which is simply
that "no one can guard me even if I go coast-to-coast
solo".

Put it in perspective. By no means is Pierce the only
great scorer on this team, but he seems to be the only
one who came in with the appropriate attitude. He was
coached to be "selfish" last year, to carry teams on his
back (along with Toine) rather than stand around in
deference to the reality that all your teammates are, in
this case, just as talented.

Its not that Marion or Baron or these others can't take
over a game. Its just that they play, for once, on a team
of nearly equal talents, and defer out of elan and
courtesy from being too selfish.

The USA doesn't need more than a few guys to step up
(initiate contact rather than pass if guarded). They
can't all suddenly turn selfish. So its tricky.

But you need that second guy besides Paul to realize he
helps the team more by being a go-to scorer, as well as
for the others to fall in-line with that nightly pecking
order.

What only Paul realized right away was that none of
opponents can guard you in transition. Pierce made some
bafflingly easy coast-to-coast layups against NZ that he
would never have attempted against an NBA defender. The
worst he's getting out of "selfishly" forcing the action
is a trip to the foul line.

The other option is to pass better, but this team doesn't
have nearly the time to get it together as a slick,
backdoor cutting team. Its not the best use of talent, if
Karl went in that direction this late in the tournament.

They need two guys to step up and score ugly if
necessary --score the damn ball--and for the rest of the
guys to fall in line. This is a well-constructed team on
paper for that type of role playing chemistry, not to
mention the outstanding individual defensive talents of
guys like Wallace, Baron and Marion.

Every game I see confirms my impression is not based on a
local-town bias. As a general pattern, the USA Team
treads water with a whomever's-eventually-open-shoots
style play. They are worse than terrible in this go-with-
the-flow selflessness.

Then one guy (Pierce) decides to take over and be a
little less passive, less go-with-the-flow. Game
complexion changes completely. I mean Completely.

I can understand why an inherently creative and dynamic
player might defer to the egalitarian ethos of the team.
These guys are all equally fantastic. Pierce doesn't buy
into that one bit, while the others are playing as if in
some sort of shell. I want to see guys waving for the
ball, demanding touches.

That's how Karl is going to win or blow this
tournament...not by preaching more passing but by making
his guys feed the hot, go-to player over and over and
letting him do his thing.

I'm probably repeating myself for the third time, but
Karl doesn't have TIME to shape this team into a
facsimile of Sacramento or the Nets...Antoine Walker
would help this team score and win just as much as Jason
Kidd would. And they are extremely close to elimination
tonight, unless a few guys really step up tonight.

Foremost, the team needs to force transition. But once
there, don't be bashful about taking your defender one-on-
one for the foul or basket. It will happen. These Yugo
and Argentine guys aren't elite defenders by any stretch.

Instead of standing around wondering if he should shoot
if the ball comes his way, Pierce drives at people and
creates new openings for his teammates. The wrap-around
dishes he's used in this tourny to bail out of drives
could prove to be a big weapon next season...and those
opportunities for open 5 foot jumpers don't happen in the
first place unless someone is "selfish" enough to drive
on your man. Don't be tentative or selfless for goodness
sakes. Okay enough already. I'm not even going to
proofread, because it would probably take more time than
actually writing this far.

And beat these guys tonight. Beat Slobo Milosovic's boys
like a drum. It should be a great game to watch, in the
vein of NJ-Boston, but hopefully superior talent will
carry the day.

Go USA

Joe

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.