RE: more pack journalism

 -----Original Message-----
From: Lance Jacobson [mailto:lancejacob@attbi.com]
Sent: September 05, 2002 9:45 AM
To: celtics@igtc.com; Michael J.King Sr.
Subject: Re: more pack journalism

Sorry if you aren't trying to humiliate you sure are going out of your way
be snotty when it isn't necessary >>MJKing, Sr.

Cecil pontificated that the US would win on athleticism.  That's the same
attitude that allows our players to loaf on defense, stand around the
perimeter on offense and, in essence, hand a 58-game run to a team from
SOUTH
AMERICA.

* There is no reason to associate athleticism with loafing on defense or any
other weakness.  But rather the ability to adapt to instantaneous
occurrences.  To adjust the body while in mid-flight to take a hit and still
convert the shot.  To use the good cross-over dribble to beat your defender
and set up a teammate for an easier shot.  To time the block correctly, etc.
Those are some of the athletic traits which the Americans are still the best
at and I suspect they will be advantageous skills as the tournament wears
on.

Everyone's feeling glum and sorry for themselves, because USA took one on
the
chin.  It's a game, for gosh sakes,

* During one of your private messages to me yesterday, when I said there
were more important things in some of their lives, like family, you
intimated that they should be willing to give up only a month for the sake
of this tournament.  Now, it just a game?

and we're not preparing for it the same
way the other countries do because we THINK we have a right to just step in
and win.  That's disrespectful of the competition, who shoot better, pass
better, defend better and work harder.

* Explain just how the Americans prepared for it.

Why should the NBA professional's arrogance be supported?  The KNEW other
teams had more time to prepare, the only reason they've coasted for all
those
prelim games, getting satisfied with second-half-only play is because they
thought they could get the same amount of work done with half the effort.
They said as much in the interviews.

* Which player said we can get the work done with half the effort?

Guess there's no lesson to be learned, huh?  If we win the remaining games
won't it prove that we took the competition lightly and were lazy?  Wouldn't
you feel better if we just lost the rest so that our guys can say they were
overmatched, the other teams had an unfair advantage in preparation?  Not
me.
I want us to win all the rest and prove that  getting slapped  was all it
took
for guys to play as hard as their opponents.  That's what Cecil doesn't seem
to see when I tell him that I want the team to win the rest of the games.

* Cecil understands entirely that you are talking out of both sides of your
mouth.  You look at that game and think the Americans were lazy.  I saw
their effort but I give much credit to the fine game played by Argentina.
The difference is, you don't.  You gloated over the fact that America lost
and threw digs at Pierce to show your allegiance.  Now you want the team to
win the "rest of the games".  How nice.

Cecil