Celtics Courting Travis Best

This is both good news and bad news. The good news is that Best is the
Best
of a bad lot of remaining PGs. The Bad News: Somehow, I don't think
New Jersey is sweating this decision out. They still have a big
advantage
at point guard, and until that advantage is lessened, the C's are still
second class
citizens to the Nets the EC

Unfortunately knowing Celtics management, if they get Best, my guess is
that they'll
feel they've solved their PG problem and no further enrichment of the
position will
be forthcoming Nothing against Best, but I view him as a very good
backup,
not the impact PG the C's need to cope with the Weird NJ menace..
.... And Strickland signed with Pacers.

For Celtics, it's all for Best

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 9/5/2002

With less than a month remaining until the start of training camp, the
Celtics are courting point guard Travis Best for their 12th and final
roster spot. The former Springfield Central and Georgia Tech standout is
now the sole focus of the Celtics' free agent efforts since guard Erick
Strickland signed with Indiana yesterday. General manager Chris Wallace
hopes Best will soon travel to Waltham. It was rumored Best would be in
town this weekend, but as of last night Wallace said a visit had not yet
been confirmed.

Although the Celtics have been interested in Best since Kenny Anderson
was traded to the Sonics in late July, it initially appeared the
playoff-tested veteran would be financially out of their reach. But
early last week, Minnesota signed Troy Hudson to what many believed
would be the last big-money contract for a point guard. With that move
by the Timberwolves, Best resurfaced among the Celtics' options. Still,
Boston will not pay the 30-year-old Best more than the minimum of
$762,435 (with the team responsible for $637,435) as he enters his
seventh NBA season this fall.

Last season, Best averaged 6.9 points, 4.0 assists, and 1.6 rebounds per
game, splitting time between Indiana and Chicago. He played in 74 games
with all but three of his 21 starts coming after he was traded to the
Bulls in mid-February.

''We would like to have Travis visit,'' said Wallace. ''He's the guy
we're putting our emphasis on now. We would like to have him come in, if
he feels that's part of his decision-making process. Sometimes guys sign
without ever making a visit.

''If we miss on him, we'll regroup and go from there. We think he would
bring significant experience from playing on winning playoff teams,
including a trip to the NBA Finals. Travis has played well against the
Celtics the last few years. He can shoot the long ball, which is
imperative in this system, and he can defend as well.''

The Celtics' choice to set their sights exclusively on Best comes amid
news that the pool of free agent point guards is decreasing. In addition
to Strickland signing with Indiana for the minimum, former University of
Connecticut star Kevin Ollie apparently has a verbal agreement with
Milwaukee. In many ways, losing Strickland was the price the Celtics
paid for their willingness to wait for a decision from Best.

Miami appears the prime competition for Best's services. The Heat
potentially have more money to offer Best, but likely will not want to
give him a multiyear deal so the team can stay in the running for free
agents next summer. Best has been offered the veteran minimum by other
teams, though Boston is hoping that playing time, the opportunity to
start, and being near his hometown will be strong selling points.

This story ran on page F2 of the Boston Globe on 9/5/2002.
) Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.