Globe Article on Possible "Best" visit.

FYI

For Celtics, it's all for Best

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 9/5/2002

With less than a month remaining until the start of training camp, the
Celtics are courting point guard Travis Best for their 12th and final roster
spot. The former Springfield Central and Georgia Tech standout is now the
sole focus of the Celtics' free agent efforts since guard Erick Strickland
signed with Indiana yesterday. General manager Chris Wallace hopes Best will
soon travel to Waltham. It was rumored Best would be in town this weekend,
but as of last night Wallace said a visit had not yet been confirmed.

Although the Celtics have been interested in Best since Kenny Anderson was
traded to the Sonics in late July, it initially appeared the playoff-tested
veteran would be financially out of their reach. But early last week,
Minnesota signed Troy Hudson to what many believed would be the last
big-money contract for a point guard. With that move by the Timberwolves,
Best resurfaced among the Celtics' options. Still, Boston will not pay the
30-year-old Best more than the minimum of $762,435 (with the team
responsible for $637,435) as he enters his seventh NBA season this fall.

Last season, Best averaged 6.9 points, 4.0 assists, and 1.6 rebounds per
game, splitting time between Indiana and Chicago. He played in 74 games with
all but three of his 21 starts coming after he was traded to the Bulls in
mid-February.

''We would like to have Travis visit,'' said Wallace. ''He's the guy we're
putting our emphasis on now. We would like to have him come in, if he feels
that's part of his decision-making process. Sometimes guys sign without ever
making a visit.

''If we miss on him, we'll regroup and go from there. We think he would
bring significant experience from playing on winning playoff teams,
including a trip to the NBA Finals. Travis has played well against the
Celtics the last few years. He can shoot the long ball, which is imperative
in this system, and he can defend as well.''

The Celtics' choice to set their sights exclusively on Best comes amid news
that the pool of free agent point guards is decreasing. In addition to
Strickland signing with Indiana for the minimum, former University of
Connecticut star Kevin Ollie apparently has a verbal agreement with
Milwaukee. In many ways, losing Strickland was the price the Celtics paid
for their willingness to wait for a decision from Best.

Miami appears the prime competition for Best's services. The Heat
potentially have more money to offer Best, but likely will not want to give
him a multiyear deal so the team can stay in the running for free agents
next summer. Best has been offered the veteran minimum by other teams,
though Boston is hoping that playing time, the opportunity to start, and
being near his hometown will be strong selling points.

Roger S. Belanger
mailto:rbelange@foxboro.com
IBM Global Services
mailto:usersupp@foxboro.com