Re: My picks

Please put me at 51 wins also. Twenty games over .500

This is hardly scientific, but I subtracted 3 wins from
last year, due to the health/injury situation relative to
other teams. That seems to be what the Globe writers did
too.

Then I added 5 wins for various other unscientific
reasons. Two in fact (both easily ignorable if you don't
want to read further). Its a bit long-winded.

1) The first thing is a look through the schedule. I
didn't expect to reach this conclusion, but despite all
the improvements you may see out there, the overall
number of teams that have the matchups to defeat us has
decreased from past seasons.

Regardless of how much positive thinking I applied, I
used to dread certain unfavorable matchups like
Milwaukee, Minnesota, Detroit, Utah, Van Gundy's Knicks,
Bird's Indiana, Philly, even Miami etc.

It wasn't a matter of won-loss record- those teams just
always had our number. It was infuriating.

Some held winning streaks against us that we only finally
broke last year, one by one.

Others showed they could whup us even short-handed or by
overcoming big games from our captains, due to better
coaching (when Pitino was here) and veteran instincts by
their franchise players when it counted.

Look again at those teams now. Read 'em and weep. Not
only will they not sweep us, we might even sweep them.

At last, I can count teams I fear on one hand: Spurs,
Mavs, Kings and (until proven otherwise) the showtime
Nets. Portland's also been able to obliterate Boston in
the past, if they pass the ball, which they might again
do this year.

I readily admit that Boston will have trouble with these
teams, or any team that learns to play like them.

But in the end we're not talking about that many
scheduled games here, even in the playoff rounds.

If we conservatively win just half of our home games
against those teams, we'll have a great regular season
win total.

While other teams have improved, our matchups are frankly
excellent and lately the results speak for themselves.

For a number of reasons, the rest of the league's teams
now have as much to fear from our matchups as we have
with theirs.

---

2) My second reason for 51 wins is that team chemistry
and leadership look as great as we've seen in years. They
look almost ideally good. This is not just some fluffy
theoretical concept.