[no subject]

Nothing comes easily for a Boston team that plays a "pick
up style of offense, but when our third and fourth
option scorers are draining 3-pointers like they've been
doing, you can still get to 100 points quickly.

I don't think our third and fourth scorers have just been
hot in the preseason, I believe they are actually skilled
at shooting the ball. We'll see. They'll get some open
looks, that's for sure.

So it comes down to maintaining the status quo on defense
and rebounding. Obviously we look much worse so far. We
look atrocious.

Yet on paper, we seem approximately as good or perhaps
better. So we'll see.

For instance, what do you guys think of defense and
scoring at point guard? I think it looks marginally
better, given our style of play. I didnt trust Kennys
spot-up shot or defense as much as I trust his
replacements. Rebounding is a concern though.

How about small forward? The EWill/Kedrick combination
looks about the same on defense and rebounding as last
year. It won't be much worse, and it could be far better
if both stay healthy.

At center, we don't have a 6-7 backup anymore. We're not
quite worse off in any of the three categories (defense,
rebounding, scoring). Battie can play defense, and he's
another guy just entering his prime.

All of that adds up to one additional win, possibly two
getting me up to 47 or 48 wins.

The other three or four additional wins (51 total) comes
in my view from the maturity and leadership of the
franchise players. This is their first of four or five
upcoming prime seasons, health permitting (knock
furiously on wood).

Having said that, I'm convinced you won't see any kind of
dramatic "smoothing out" of their stats. Walker's NOT
going to shoot .500 from the field. Hell have a good
year though.

But what Im saying here is that the captains finally
know the little things that turn into wins. We can thank
the Rogers-Delk rental trade for giving them that playoff
experience.

They didnt have it. Now they do.

They won 57 games last year together. They won a deciding
5th games against their greatest Eastern rival. They
clinched two playoff series together. They came through
in the biggest comeback in NBA playoff history. They
eviscerated double figure Nets leads in every game they
appeared in.

I think they've actually absorbed something about winning
from all that.

This is a stars' league, other factors (apart from
chemistry) being relatively trivial. You can still win
with a thin bench AND with Iavaronis' and Rambis' and
Eric Williams' starting. And everyone suddenly looks like
an incredibly valuable "role player" when you've got the
stars up front. That's why teams overpay for Tyrone Lues
and that other chump the Lakers re-signed for the full
exception.

If Walker and Pierce come to play like they learned to do
in last year great stretch run and playoffs, we will be a
better team than last year. These two guys are 25-years-
old and set to go. They are both outstanding young
players in terms of temperament and talent. They just
needed to experience winning, and learn the little
veteran tricks it takes to defeat similarly talented, but
inexperienced opponents.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?