In person at the Wiz game. Has become long...

I finally got to see the guys in person last night.  They looked better then
what I've seen on TV.  Maybe it was MJ giving a lift to Walker and Pierce's
game.  But whatever it was I saw some things I haven't seen since Bird
retired.

I also got a chance to meet Cecil, Debra, Kim and the always lurking Adam.
Great fun to meet them all and I look forward to seeing them all again as
schedules allow.

Walker is raising his game by leaps and bounds.

There were many things that Bird did on the floor that made the others
around him better.  One of those things was his passing.  When you played
with Bird you always had to be aware of the ball because he could
thread-the-needle and if you didn't have your head up you would get bonked
in the face with it or worse.

Walker is becoming that kind of a passer.  His teammates are looking for it
also.  Walker had a couple passes last night that were just wonderful to
teammates that were "on-the-ball".  I am not comparing Bird and Walker in
total, but in the fact that by having a guy who will and can make that pass,
the other guys on the floor need to be aware all the time which is a good
thing.  I am less concerned about the PG position then before.

This is also a going to be a big year for Pierce.  His passing is better
then it's ever been and when he increases his D he will really be something
to watch with the O he brings to the floor.  He and Walker are on the same
page that this is "their" team together.

I was expecting a big jump in game from Battie at the beginning of this
season so I am a little disappointed with him.  It appears he is where he
left off last year, which is pretty good overall, the season may bring some
continued improvement.  I would have liked him to take up residence at Pete
Newell's camp last summer or sign up with the Walker's gym in Chi town.

The slow integration of Baker is working out in another area.  Battie's
fragile ego.  He will need to elevate his game to stay the starter, IMO,
over the course of the season.  Baker just does certain things so naturally
that when he stops thinking about what he is supposed to do in the Celtics
schemes and just does them, he will be a contributor far beyond what we have
seen so far.  (If OB can make Anderson into a contributor, he will do the
same with Baker who actually wants to fit in.  How disgraceful is it that
Anderson is making $9+ Mil. and isn't even trying in Seattle?  Addition by
subtraction for the C's it seems.  Wallace my be a genius after all....)

Delk look's like a different player from last year.  He really seems to fit
in on the court with WalkerPierce (TM Bird) and the guy has extremely quick
hands.  He seems to be looking at the basket this year when he shoots where
last year maybe he was  concerned about his injury.  He will add a dimension
to our offense that we just didn't have last year.

E. Williams did a lot of little things on the floor that just don't show up
in the box scores.  He would seal off his man and eliminate him as a passing
option to the guy with the ball time-after-time.  This must be what OB is
talking about.  He also caught a behind the back pass from Walker that only
he must have known was coming, because nobody else saw it.  He is just aware
out there.

S. Williams can fill it up on O and created a charge on MJ that was just
outstanding.  It seems that every game he improves.  We're going to like
this guy as the season progresses.

Waltah looked like a NBA player last night grabbing a few solid boards,
playing some D and scoring a couple from under the basket.  If he keeps this
up he may really contribute this year.

Sundov looked like he was told not to shoot last night and he just didn't
look comfortable last night.

Willywonka (TM Joe H.) only played a minute but he is active and "wants" the
rebound.  I'd like to see some more of him in a game if for no other reason
then to wear down the other center by putting a body on him.  It will be
interest to see if he progresses during the year.

Bremer didn't really play and airballed his chance.  I think the key for his
playing time will be game-by-game matchups and Delk and Williams shooting
touch.  If they have hot hands, he won't get much time.

The team camaraderie was outstanding from what I saw.  The best in years.
WalkerPierce have guys who they trust to score.  This by itself is huge,
compared to past years. This is the best group of basketball players we have
had on the floor in years, IMO.

Sorry if I bored anyone, I'm excited about this team and am looking forward
to the games ahead and how we match up against the other teams out there.

<Jim