Re: A passing fancy

> From: JB <JimMetz@mac.com

>> Antoine Walker has become a complete player. He no longer can be
> faulted in any aspect of the game. I don't remember him taking a bad
> shot, or driving recklessly into traffic. His passing kept the offense
> from being confused with the pre 24 second clock era.

You can definitely tell the tide has turned between Antoine and Celtics fans.
In truth, you could fault Antoine for his rebounding which has been lacking
all preseason.  Only 3 in forty minutes last night.  With the Celtics being
so badly out rebounded this preseason I would think this is an area of
concern.  I think any other year many fans would be all over him.  Someone
here listed PG and SF as the positions where rebounding was laking and never
even mentioned Antoine who is now 4th in RPG behind, Brown, Pierce and
Battie.

Perhaps Egg is right and he's simply waiting till the real games begin to
start exerting himself in this area.
Also Antoine did have 3 offensive fouls, two of them were pretty reckless,
the third was more of the cheap push off variety.

He is moving the ball and passing extremely well.  Antoine is the lone reason
why Tony Delk is starting at point guard and not Shammond Williams.  Walker
and Delk compliment each other very nicely.  Delk doesn't need to create when
he is on the floor with Antoine and Paul, which is a good thing.  He also
gives the Celtics a real scoring threat at the point which won't allow other
teams to cheat off the point guard as they've done so often in the past.
Delk will have to be guarded.
Williams is the far superior creator at the point and therefore is needed
with the second unit, especially Baker.
On this subject I agree with O'Brien.
Both Williams and Delk have shown me enough ball handling skills to relieve
my initial fear of teams pressing the Celtics in the backcourt relentlessly.

> Pierce also is starting to play with his head up and again completed
> several fine passes, particularly to Battie, for some easy baskets,
> but still makes too many turnovers driving into traffic.

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive
that a doer makes mistakes." -John Wooden

People are just going to have to get over turnovers.
I've been arguing this point for both Paul and Antoine for years.
We have very few players on this team that can draw fouls, and only one of
them does it with regularity.  In order to do that you've got to take chances
and with chances come turnovers.  If you look at the elite players in this
league at every position, they all commit a high number of turnovers.
Duncan, Malone, Iverson, Stackhouse, Bryant, Garnett even Kidd. They are all
near the top of the turnover list and have at least the same if not worse
turnovers per 48 minutes as Pierce or Walker's 3.5.  Even Michael Jordans
turnovers per 48 min where higher than either of our captains and Shaq's was
right up there at 3.4 as well.

John Wooden never got upset with aggressive turnovers.  When you are
aggressive with the ball good things happen.
Without aggressiveness there are no easy baskets, there are no free throws,
there is no foul trouble for the opposition.
 There will also be turnovers.
 It comes with the territory.
Antoine had four turnovers.  Paul had 2 turnovers. Stackhouse had three
turnovers and got bailed out of two more by questionable foul calls on
Battie.
 Kobe is averaging 5 turnovers a game in the preseason.
We would all do well to just accept it as part of the game and get over it.

> Delk is a scorer, no doubt, but when he plays the point, the team
> offense really suffers, as he takes a long time to get the ball over
> half court, cutting down on the possibility of much ball movement.
> Shamond Williams has a much better handle, but isn't much of a
> creator either. He loves to drive to the basket and shoot threes and
> there isn't much else.

I disagree. I think Williams has shown signs of creativity. Right now I think
he's being pulled from both sides.  His instincts to want to play the
traditional point that Seattle begged of him and O'Briens constant harping on
him to shoot.  If O'Brien doesn't pound it all out of him, he could be a very
competent point.
And there's no question our offense is going well with our starters on the
court.
It's when we've tried to push the issue trying to get the ball into Baker
when we've
stalled a bit, and that's usually the second group.

> Baker showed some all-star moves in the post, but there were too few
> attempts to get him the ball. I can see him as a big weapon come
> payoff time, when the defense extends.

I will say I actually saw some hustle from Vin last night, and he wasn't
pussy-footing around between the free-thow line and the arc as much as he has
in past games.

> Walter played well, sticking his nose in the paint and rebounding
> with some energy.

I must have missed it.  The only plays that stand out are the hustle play on
Jordans block of Baker and an ill advised three pointer that he took and
thankfully made.

> Tony Battie was in foul trouble most of the game, but was active and
> a  few of the fouls were dubious. He was also fighting for rebounds in
> traffic.

Tony has been phenomanal in the preseason.  I can only hope he continues to
play with the fire and determination he has shown so far.

> Eric Williams did just enough to earn his paycheck.

 Eric has had some pretty tough matchups defensively the last few games...
Between Garnett, Nowitzki, and Stackhouse... he must be having nightmares.
I found it funny how he was giving tips on rebounding in the morning papers.

> Sundov stood around. My first impression of him is that he plays
> flatfooted. No lateral movement, no bounce to his step.
> Bremer and Wolkowyski barely played and showed nothing of NBA caliber.
> All in all a pretty good effort. As unselfish a game as I could
> possibly expect.
> If Stackhouse had not sold his soul to the devil, we'd have won  by
> 25.
> Jordan may not be in game shape yet, but  if that's all there is
> left, the Wizards are in trouble.

He certainly looked his age last night.

> Kwame Brown and Haywood, the front court of  the future, were both
> ineffective and turnover prone.
> O'Brien experimented with all kinds of lineups. We saw Walker, Sundov
> and Baker up front, with Delk and Shammond in the back court, for a
> long stretch in the first half.
> Coach had everyone crashing the boards and we dominated the points in
> the paint category, which is a very good sign for this team.
> I found absolutely no credence to the theory that team chemistry has
> deteriorated. In fact, as I saw it, the players, except for a few of
> Pierce's drives, pretty much looked for the best shot, all night long.
> We have much  more scoring power than last season.
> It's probably too late, to  sign one, but if we could trade for a
> banger/bruiser and a 6'6" point guard who can create and defend, I'd
> like our chances against New Jersey.

I know what you're saying but I don't think they make 6'6" point guards that
can create and defend other point guards.  I know I can't think of any.

TAM