2002 - 2003 Prediction

So. I've seen what I'm going to see, and the time has come.

And I like what I've seen. I tend towards pessimism in other things, but I refuse to do so when it comes to the Celtics. What good is religion if you don't have faith? Are there things that can go wrong? You betcha. But this bunch (the Cap'ns, Obie, Harter, EWill, Battie, and the other holdovers) always seem to exceed expectations.

So I'm going to do what I do every year. Even though I think the most probable correct prognostication is in the low 50's for wins, I'm going to come out with 55-27 as my prediction. It pleases me to do so.

I'm thinking playoffs. Homecourt. Winning at least one round, and probably two. ECF? Hmmm, maybe not, but what the hell? If Baker's effective, Walkerpierce's healthy, Battie consistent, and Delk/Shammond combine to make an effective Obie-style point, why not? I ain't afraid of Joisey. Bring 'em on. You can't see it, but I'm making obscene gestures in the general direction of the Swamplands. I won't go so far as to predict #17, because you've got to stop sometime. All things in moderation, as the ancient Greeks said.

But I'm excited, as always at the start of the season. I feel good, the Pass is bought and paid for, the beer and gnoshes are laid in, the couch contours to my butt, the remote works, and I'm ready. Finest kind.

Bird