Wiz Game 'n' Stuff

Hey, that was a pretty good looking game, especially for preseason. Looks like Walker is starting to let things hang out, as he looked good. Real good. Damn good. He was robbed of two assists when Eric Williams and Pierce couldn't finish. He made the most of his opportunities down low, and, really, didn't make any mistakes that I could see. Very impressive. Pierce had a monster offensive game, although, again, he needs to make more of his free throws. Such a good pure shooter shouldn't miss even as many as he did. He got a few good defensive plays in, but neither he, nor Eric Williams, nor anyone else could guard Jerry Stackhouse there for a while. (Of course, then the Whiz helped us out by not going to him anymore.) Tony Delk, after a slow start, also ended up with really good offensive production. I was again gratified at Shammond Williams' play (and couldn't help shouting out the Michael Jacksonesque "Shammond! Shammond!" after particularly good ones -- ya gotta thank Mike Gooen -- iirc -- for that one). Tony Battie (I mean, "BAAAH-tee) also looked really good out there, though he seemed to play fewer minutes, both because he got into a little foul trouble in the second half, and also because Vinnie Baker was playing well. I don't know what numbers he ended up with, but I tried to pay particular attention to Baker, and I liked what I saw. He sealed guys well, and seemed to go for the offensive rebound. (The entire team seemed to make rebounding a priority.) Baker also made a great play where undoubtedly the official scorer gave a bound to Sundov, but it was all Baker's doing, as he stayed with it and tipped it to Bruno. Baker made some moves down low that were really effective.

Would still like to see more of a defensive clamp, but it's preseason, and no self-respecting NBA team is going to shut down other teams in the preseason.

As for ESPN, I think the choice of Timmy Hardaway in the studio is a bad one. He basically just repeated what Frazier said when asked a question a bunch of times. As for Elliot and Saunders, they ain't bad, though Elliot ought to stop applying traditional b-ball cliches to a team like Boston who have no use for them. He should also learn how to pronounce Bruno Sundov's name. Snoopy already mentioned Saunders weird pronounciation of Battie's name. It could've been worse, and when Elliot teams up with Brent Musburger (isn't he dead yet?), it will be. And is anyone else fearful of all these new gadgets, graphics and camera angles that ESPN is promising? Be afraid. Elliot was like "we've got lot's of goodies for the fans!" Dude, the game is the thing. Just show the game. That's all I care about. Certainly not the newestcoolestbiggest screen wipe or graphic. And the camera angle thing could be bad. I remember NBC introduced one about six or seven years ago -- the "camera-on-a-wire" thing -- that literally made me nauseated.

The only other thing to complain about is this sickening pandering to MJ. He's clearly the greatest. I can't believe he's being called for fouls. He's just the coolest. Phooey. I still think Bill Russell is the greatest basketball player of all time. Period. Yet, Jordan is a very intelligent basketball player. Even at less-than-100% (even for his age) he made smart plays and knew precisely what to do. Impressive. The other pandering was this kowtowing people give the Lakers. No one will win anything while Shaq and Kobe are there. I can't see how another team can beat them. Pshaw. Let's see: the Kings almost did, Shaq's Big Toe injury could derail him, almost any team can beat another team on any given night. Sure, they're the favorites, but people are acting like the games aren't even necessary. Sure, the road to the Championship goes through LA, but I thought this was America, and if the road's blocked, we just take our gas-guzzling SUV and blaze another trail to the destination. At least that's what the commercials on TV tell me.

OK, enough bitching, but it still wasn't as much as Doug Collins and MJ did. How dare the refs have the temerity to call Jordan for a foul. Don't they know the score? But I'm sure Doug's whining will make them see the light. Yeah, that'll learn 'em. I love beating Doug Collins. Finest kind.

Bird