Re: Celtics preseason stats to date

Thanks for the stats summary, Tammo.

The disturbing thing about the stats on Baker is that, in the two games I've
been able to see (the last two), I'd say his final stat line actually is
better than it seemed he played. Part of the blame lies with Obie, but Baker
isn't exactly going to get the ball on the glass or posting up all that well
in the post. I think he's all too willing to settle into that third-wheel
role, and his idea of that is kind of coasting. He has a tendency to coast
anyway. He has to get better, I think. It's just the preseason and there
will be some adjusting by all parties. Antoine's encouragement is a good
sign. They can't afford to have the captains lose faith in him.

Delk is showing exactly what he is-a deadly shooter-and what he isn't-a
point guard. This should come as a surprise to no one. It's nice to see
Shammond playing reasonably well, but be prepared for plenty of
Shammond-Delk backcourt minutes.

I'm still pessimistic about the future because of the Baker trade, and I
believe this team will regress this year because of it. But I have to think
the defense will improve and with Pierce and Walker, they still have enough
to be a middle-of-the-pack playoff team. Unfortunately, that's all they have
for the next four years with Baker's contract dragging them down.

Mark

P.S. I've been away, so I didn't get to comment on Wallace's comments to Joe
and Josh. "Would you rather have Vin Baker or Rodney Rogers?" First of all,
the implied simplicity of his question is insulting, but that's typical of
Wallace. He thinks we're all idiots. Secondly, my answer would be Rodney
Rogers. Forget the salaries (although you can't!), I'd still take Rogers.
He's just a better fit. And if it's Kenny and Rogers, then it's a
no-brainer. And if it's Kenny and Rogers and cap relief after the season,
then you'd have to be a fool to even consider Baker at all. And the "Joe
Johnson is not a point guard..." line. Wow. Coming from a GM trotting out
Tony Delk as a starting point guard and who passed on Tony Parker and Jamaal
Tinsley in favor of Joe Forte... Are we supposed to take his word for it?
Ugh.