RE: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V9 #328

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of GuyClinch@AOL.com
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 10:38 PM
To: Celtics@igtc.com

Hello all,

> Well my opinion FWIW, is that they didn't think they could get
anything for
> Anderson after the sale was made public due to many of the other teams
> taking advantage of us in most trades and so little interest in
Anderson
> league wide.  The Sonics were a perfect trade partner due to the
problems
> with the glove and their desire to shed Baker.  The Celtics needed to
move
> Anderson and preserve his salary "slot" so it can be used again in the
> future.

Err...I don't get this line of thought.

Perhaps I don't understand the salary cap, but in trading Kenny we have
tied
up salary..not gotten to really use it. Kenny had an expiring contract
and
for that reason he had trade value. After Kenny is done this year he
will
have given the Sonics cap space that would have been used up by Baker's
contract.  If we had just sat on Kenny's contract we could have had alot
more
money to play with that we instead tied up with Baker's contract.

I rather doubt this trade was made with OB and the brain trust aware of
the
sale.
I think they thought Baker would be good. Right now SWilliams looks like
the
talented player in the deal. Baker despite being in shape simply doesn't
seem
that good.

We should have just moved Potapenko and Forte for SWilliams...or
something
like that. Kenny is too worn out to do it alone...nowadays.

Pete

Had we kept Kenny and let his contract expire after this year. We still
would not have been able to sign anyone straight out. We would have been
at 46 million without his contract, which is still higher than the
salary cap. So with no room to breathe under the cap, signing someone
else could not have been done. Kind off ironic how Wallace was damned if
he did and damned if he didn't...no?? So by trading for Baker, Wallace
basically kept the salary alive and can still use it in trades and such,
had he not done the trade, we would have lost Kenny (not such a bad
thing) but would have been unable to sign anyone to replace him.

Hope this helps