preseason ouchies

Interesting trend we're seeing. Scottie Pippen, Lamar Odom, Elton Brand, Reggie Miller, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan and Allen Iverson are all expected to miss at least some, if not all, of the preseason.

Interesting in light of the ruckus that was raised over the World Championships last summer. Remember? Nobody wanted to play, and the team we sent couldn't come together well enough to win against some tough teams. People questioned whether they wanted to risk their players on what they wrongly thought of as a worldwide exhibition match.

Now, the real exhibition games are here, and a lot of players are sitting out. Wasn't the point of these games supposed to be giving the teams a real game situation to work out the offseason kinks, and gel the fabled "team chemistry" before playing games that "counted"?

Now, suddenly, the NBA looks like a MASH unit. If it's not surgery delayed all summer long, it's an ill-considered fight on a yacht. It's the kind of "coincidence" that makes really bad storytelling. We're supposed to believe that this is all an accident.

But don't worry, they say--everyone will be here when the "real" games are played.

Now, I have no doubt some of the injuries are genuine, and the result of unfortunate timing, or out-of-shape players. But all of them? No chance do I believe that kind of unbelievable confluence, and I write comic books professionally.

Let's face it. The preseason game is going the route of the dodo and the sooner we realize it the better. We have an 82 game season, plus playoffs, a commitment to the Olympics every 4 years, and after last summer, the World Championships every two years. Nobody is going to want to do all of that, so something must give. In addition, past preseasons have had their share of real injuries, and that's something nobody wants--injuries in a meaningless game.

Since contracting teams (a smart idea, I think) is not going to happen, the only option left is eliminating preseason games. It'll start slow, with key marquee players missing games, then the attendance will drop. Suddenly it will become a financial burden, and before you know it, the NBA board of Governors will be holding a unanimous vote to end preseason altogether.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the Celtics Beagle Website at
http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html