Jordan's Return Great For The Wiz...And the NBA

<A HREF="http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/misc/fullcourtpress.htm";>The Sports Network - National Basketball Association</A>
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&;
page=nba/misc/fullcourtpress.htm

Jordan's Return Great For The Wiz...And the NBA
FULL COURT PRESS

Joe Aquilar, NBA Editor

Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - Typically, the return of an aging athlete
is not cause for celebration. Patrick Ewing's last season in Orlando was
tough to watch, as were Cal Ripken Jr.'s last few seasons with the Orioles.
Boxers often think they have one more fight left in them, then find out it
was one fight too many. One need look no further than Muhammad Ali for an
example of an athlete who didn't know when to call it quits.

While the cause of Ali's current condition, Parkinson's disease, is not
always attributable to head trauma, there's little doubt the root cause of
his condition stems from taking too many punches in the ring. This is not the
case with Michael Jordan, who announced last week that he will return to
honor the final year of his two-year deal with the Washington Wizards.

Last season, Jordan, 39, averaged 22.9 points per game and was able to
compete in 60 games at an average of 34.9 minutes per contest. Certainly his
scoring is down from his career average of 31 points per game, but with
Jordan, it's simply not about numbers -- or on second thought -- maybe it's
all about numbers. The numbers by which Jordan impacts the game of basketball
are different numerals than those that apply to other NBA players. Jordan
generates interest -- and subsequent revenue -- for the NBA like no player
ever has.

"You simply can't pay him enough," said Orlando Magic Senior Vice President
Pat Williams. "Talent aside, his unique characteristics just make him
special, and we can all learn and benefit from that. It's amazing -- but I
think he's actually underrated. I don't think any of us realized the way he
carried the NBA around the world to the level that he has."

It was not until three weeks ago, when the pain in his surgically-repaired
right knee subsided, that Jordan decided he would play a second season for
the Wizards. With training camp finally getting underway, Jordan, as one
might expect, is putting no limits on himself.

"My main objective is to fulfill my contract," said Jordan. "After this year
will be after this year. I never want to say never again. When I do say it,
it will be 100 percent, not 99.9 percent. I'm focusing on this year at the
end of the season. Leave it at that."

In order to save his legs for the grind of an 82-game regular season, Jordan
said he does not plan on playing in any of the team's eight preseason games,
the first being October 10 at MCI Center. The pain in his knee lingered
longer into the summer than Jordan anticipated, thus delaying his
announcement.

"I did contemplate not playing," said Jordan, who turns 40 in February. "[The
knee] didn't respond like I thought it would. It responded like the doctors
told me it would...When I did start back playing I had a problem with [a
support band of muscles], which obviously worried me. It wasn't anything
wrong with the structure of my knee.

"At that time it was determined that I should get some orthotics to get the
structure of my foot, knee and hip in line. Once I went through that process
and started wearing orthotics it seemed that my knee started to respond. I
could see it in the way I played and my recovery every day, on back-to-back
days and that was the basis of my decision."

He is expected to take part in one of the team's two workouts on a daily
basis during camp. Jordan's announcement that he will sit during the
preseason gave ticket buyers and the NBA sufficient warning of his impending
absences. Unlike last year's training camp, he won't be trying to shake off
three years of rust created by inactivity.

"Michael's going to need the training camp to get himself prepared to play,"
coach Doug Collins said. "Last year he played so much in the summertime
trying to get off three years of inactivity, he went through the broken ribs
then went through the [knee] tendinitis. In our discussions, he felt he left
a lot on the court last summer.

"The big thing is we have to keep his minutes down. That's going to be
critical. Last year, especially early in the season, we were struggling. His
minutes started out in the mid-thirties and pretty soon they were up to 40
and that just can't happen this year. We hope we've added enough help for him
that he can play when the game counts. Last year we asked him to do so much."

And this was Jordan's second return from retirement.

"Based on me coming out of retirement in '95, it was a tough year for me
because I was re-adjusting back to the game," Jordan said about his return to
the Chicago Bulls after a nearly two-year stint playing minor league
baseball. "Ninety-six was a better year because I knew what to expect. After
being back for one season, hopefully things will be better for me this year."

Keeping Jordan's minutes down shouldn't be a problem for this season's
Wizards. Given his Airness' ability to play either the one, two or three,
Washington can come at opponents with a world of scoring ability in a variety
of ways. Jerry Stackhouse and Larry Hughes are both Wizards now, making life
infinitely easier for Jordan. All three of these scorers can be on the floor
at once, or Stackhouse and Hughes could fill it up while Jordan rests. While
Washington still has some questions in need of answers at the power forward
and center positions, it's certainly as loaded with twos and threes as any
team in the NBA.

CeltsSteve