Big men...

> Gary Trent has guard skills? Tim Duncan is unskilled? I think the GM's on
> every team and most fans would have to disagree with you
> here and wonder if
> you got a bad batch or are just one of Rodney's homeboys

Your missing my point..
Of course I would take Duncan over any other Celtic...

But, yes Duncan is "unskilled" compared to most little men playing the game.

Size is essence makes up for lack of skill in basketball.

If your bigger then you can get away with having less skills.
A smaller player is forced to develop more skills to offset his or her lack of size. Futhermore there are more small people in the world so the competition at the smaller sizes is much tougher and there is a greater pool of talent to draw on.

To play in the NBA at 6'5" or less you need mad skills and amazing athletic ability. To play in the NBA at 7ft you need to able to catch some passes and have enough coordination to dunk. Hell if your 7'5" or taller you don't even really need that much skill.

There are very very few seven foot plus people in the world...so they don't have to compete with many folks. Tim Duncan is a "skilled" big man. But yeah compared to what a guy like Shammond Williams or Kenny Anderson can do with a basketball the guy is unskilled. Those guys could instantly replicate any move that Duncan can do with the ball. They can do everything he can do and a whole lot more.

Come on less face it..we all know its true.
A guy like Shaq might be the "best" player in the NBA but its just because he is much bigger then everyone else and isn't totally uncoordinated. Does he have better skills then your average guard struggling to make a roster. Nope.

Thats why people like watching a guy like Kobe alot more then Shaq. Kobe has skills.

I mean a guy like AI can do some amazing things on the court.
The best a guy like Duncan can do is "pass like a guard" or "shoot like a guard". Yawn.

Nothing I hate more then big stiffs.

Lucky for the Celtics Baker isn't a real center anyway...
I think he is 6'9' - 6'10" only though he is still referred to as a seven footer. Hehe. Baker does have some skills.

Pete