Gaston & signifying nothing

Perhaps the revisionists who want to absolve Paul Gaston of all blame in regards to hampering the Celtics in recent years in the holy name of "fiscal sanity" might want to give at least as much weight to Travis Best's actual statements as they do to Obie's "we really don't need you" jab. Best said the biggest reason he went to Miami is because they offered more money -- the C's "wouldn't budge" on upping their offer. And why was that? Because former Sun King Gaston was all about avoiding the (possible) luxury tax, plain and simple.

The only real argument I've heard so far is that Wallace and Co. could have chosen not to give Wallah his money and used it to up the offer to Best. That has some merit, but they know what they're getting with Wallah, a guy who they can plug into 3 or even 4 positions in case of injury, a guy the other guys really like. And I'm not sure if this is correct, but doesn't only a portion of Wallah's salary count towards the cap because he's a veteran? Again, not positive about that, so I'm not sure if it applies.

(On an unrelated note, I'm sick and tired of all the jealous ranting about Paul Pierce, and the doom-and-gloom sturm und drang around here. It's a whole lot of sound and fury, to my mind. I'm taking a few weeks off, perhaps I'll just lurk until the start of real games, when hopefully more of the folks who contribute posts of actual substance return from their offseason slumber. The one good thing all you "sky-is-falling"-types always do for me each summer is make me feel more optimistic about the upcoming season, which goes against character for me. But right about now I'm about as optimistic as possible, and I'm starting to get grumpy. Time for a Celts list siesta.)

Bird