Making their points (Worcester Telegram)

The Celtics' inexperience at point guard following the trade of
Kenny Anderson for Vin Baker bothers radio analyst Cedric
Maxwell more than it does television analyst Tom Heinsohn.
You can cook the best meal in the world, Maxwell said,
but if it's in the kitchen and nobody brings it out, it goes for
naught. That's what the point guard is able to do. I just look at
this team as a question mark.
Now they've got a center, which is even tougher to get than a
point guard, Heinsohn countered. Even in a running game, you
don't need a quintessential Bob Cousy, (Nate) Archibald type of
point guard. My teams ran and we didn't have a quintessential,
ball-handling point guard. Everybody was a middle man on the
break. Jo Jo White, John Havlicek, Don Chaney, Dave Cowens,
everybody brought the ball up.
Heinsohn and Maxwell have won both ways. Heinsohn won
six NBA championships playing alongside Cousy, then coached
the Celtics to two more NBA titles without him. Maxwell won a
title with Archibald and another with Dennis Johnson and Danny
Ainge, neither of whom was a pure point guard.
We did it by committee, Maxwell explained, but remember
that we had three or four guys who were going to be Hall of
Famers and in the top 50 of all-time. This team is going to have to
learn on the go.
You'd like to have great players at every position, but it's
tough to do in this era, Heinsohn said.
Both analysts agreed that co-captains Antoine Walker and
Paul Pierce handle the ball a lot, so they'll be able to take the
pressure off of Boston's inexperienced
point-guard-by-committee, Tony Delk, Shammond Williams and
rookie J.R. Bremer.
I felt more comfortable with the team they had last year,
Maxwell said, because I knew what to expect, but at the same
time I can look at this team and see that there's a possibility of
them being better than they were last year. On one hand I'm
apprehensive, but on the other hand I'm very encouraged. I'm one
of these toss-ups with this team. I'm not sure whether it's going to
be heads or tails.
Heinsohn believes the Celtics' success hinges on coach Jim
O'Brien working Baker into the mix.
Jimmy O'Brien did a great job last year, Heinsohn said. His
challenge this year is the chemistry of the ballclub. He developed
great chemistry last year and now he has new elements.
As anyone who has ever heard Heinsohn call a Celtics game
knows, he wants the team to run. To him, it's the Celtics way.
There was no alternative for 25 years, he said. You ran or
you left the area. It's an ally to winning games because you sap
the stamina of the other team. The other coach makes mistakes
because he doesn't want to pull guys out of the lineup. All of a
sudden you can blow past teams. You don't necessarily have to
have the greatest players to win. That's why all of us who played
that way believe in that style of play.
Maxwell is entering his seventh year as radio analyst. Last
season was his first trip to the playoffs as a broadcaster.
It's lot easier when you're winning, Maxwell said.
Maxwell, 46, has a unique style and over the years, listeners
have adapted to him.
As a broadcaster, he said, I had to learn a lot of things. It's
a tough position being the analyst because you only have a finite
amount of time to develop an idea and get that idea across, to be
funny and be informative. It took awhile to learn that. Now that
I've learned that and I have my own little lingo, a lot of people
have been able to connect with that.
Somebody else might say it's X, Y, Z. I might want to go A,
Z, N. I want to do exactly the opposite just to have fun.
Maxwell and Heinsohn are both analysts, but they look at the
same game in different ways.
I see the game sometimes the way my kids see the game,
Maxwell said. They see the game with all the shake, glamour and
roll. Tommy sees the basic game, the way it is. It's a different way
of looking at it, but to a degree we both want the same thing, just
a good broadcast for our fans to enjoy.
Heinsohn, 68, is entering his 22nd year on Celtics broadcasts
alongside Mike Gorman, the longest active tenure of any duo on
television. Heinsohn, 68, said he has no idea how much longer
he'll keep announcing. He's not even the team's oldest
broadcaster. Cousy, 74, will work 10 TV games again this
season.
Because of a bad back, Heinsohn had to be wheeled to
courtside for his final Celtics playoff game against New Jersey last
season. Physical therapy enabled him to avoid surgery and the
back is fine now.