Re: Ray of Light

  Kirk Haston?
  That's a 6-9 forward from Indiana who plays for the Hornets. I don't think
he can enter the draft again. ( ;

  I'm sure you meant Kirk Hinrich.
  Although I don't have my SI in front of me, I'm also pretty sure the
article said something along the lines of ....right now an argument could be
made for Hinrich to be the second pick... which is a little different than
saying he will be the second pick.  I don't think anyone expects Kirk to be
the second pick in the draft.  The college basketball season has just begun
and the hype over the freshman and improved sophomores & juniors has not yet
started.  Not to mention the handful of high school hot shots that always
seem willing to ride the hype machine into the draft.  And then you have the
players from overseas, as you've already pointed out.  Add to that the fact
that, Mike Bibby and Jay Williams aside, point guards rarely find themselves
at the top of the draft order.
When it comes to the draft size still trumps talent and "potential" is still
the favorite catch phrase.  I doubt very much you will see any senior point
guard go in the top three.
  With all that said, the Celtics could do a hell of a lot worse than
Hinrich.  He's a guy who plays the point like Steve Nash with a better
outside shot and better defense. I don't think he's ever walked the ball up
the court in his life.  He plays in overdrive every second he's on the court.
 His only negatives would be his tendency to get in foul trouble and his
strength against some of the bigger guards in the league.

<A HREF="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2003/preview/kansas/";>Blue Ribbon College Yearbook on Kirk Hinrich</A>

TAM