Re: This and that

In November of 1979:

Pope John Paul II had been the Pope for just over 1 year.
Nobody had a home computer.
Portable phones were the size of small briefcases.
Roger Moore was playing James Bond and nobody knew who Pierce Brosnan was.
Paul Pierce was 2 years old.
Larry Bird was just making his presence felt in the NBA.
Apartheid was a fact of life in South Africa.
The Berlin Wall looked to be a permanent fixture.
No one knew what "Solidarity" referred to.
The X-Men comic had just started being published again after being in reprints for 2 years.
David Letterman was years away from hosting his own show, and Johnny Carson was still working.
Harry Chapin, Stan Rogers, and John Lennon were still alive.
Most of the boy bands on the top 40 today weren't even born yet.

Now for the good news:

In November of 1979:

Elton John had been a professional musician for 17 years.
Paul Simon had been a professional musician for 22 years.
Superman celebrated his 40th anniversary five months earlier.
Charles Schulz had been drawing "Peanuts" for 29 years.
Ronald Regan had become elected President after qualifying for Social Security.
Johnny Most was still broadcasting for the Celtics.
Red Auerbach had just reclaimed a measure of control of the Celtics after a showdown with the universally despised (in Boston, anyway) John Y. Brown.

As someone once said, "I may have to grow up--but I will never grow old."

Happy anniversary!

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle