RE: Gaston and the 12th man

History question: when did the NBA move to a 12-man
active roster?

I somehow recall in the Cowens and early Bird years that
the 11th man was the last guy to make the cut. I may be
wrong actually, but I thought David Thirdkill was
Boston's first "12th man". I remember it took me awhile
to get used to that concept.

In any case, it goes without saying that coaching staffs
were able to run their practices without complaint in the
NBA past with just 12 players.

Of course, a lot of other things were "retro" too, but
now are viewed as necessities for the modern game. You
sometimes had one job opening for coach/GM, you
had "player-coaches", you didn't have video or strength
coaches, you had canvas hightops etc.

I suppose this doesn't take away from the fact that 28
other 2002 NBA teams (nearly all of them in the same
luxury tax situation) have a minimum of 13 roster players.

And there is no debate as to whether this is
a "basketball decision". Its all about the Benjamins.

Who's fault that is (Thanks Dad and Pond Scum versus Il
Pagliaci and Air Wyc lavender&camomile scent boy) is
extremely unclear at the moment.

Last night lying in bed, it popped into my head that
Shammond Williams will probably be wearing a Nets uniform
by next summer. Let's face it, Shammond's had some
serious "cha ching" moments this year, and I don't think
we are the only people that have noticed. Chris Wallace
will have to go find another guy like that at the league
mimimum.

Those are the types of concerns you have in a "small
market", cheapskate NBA town. We've had worse owners in
Boston, and still managed to be competitive.

Also, all this debate about firing the brain trust (I
don't mind if that happends). But without criticizing
that owner prerogative, I'm wondering who comes to mind
as a replacement (other than the popular NBA logo boy).

Everyone in the business seems roughly equally mediocre
and mistake prone, if you want to focus on it.

I can't think of anyone who has drafted or traded
exceptionally and consistently well, RELATIVE to draft
position and/or budget.

Take Rod Thorn, who's the GM of the year. He can hang his
hat on Richard Jefferson with good reason, but he landed
RJ and two stiffs for Houston's Eddie Griffin, a younger
and equally mind-blowing pure athlete. Its kind of a wash
so far.

I have a suspicion that the Houston Rockets will reach
the finals by the second half of this decade. All three
Texas teams look tough for the long haul. Steve Francis
is phenomenally talented. Last night, at least, Ming
looked like Bill Walton at UCLA. If he's half as good as
he looked (flawless), that's a guy I'd pay just to watch.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?