Re: [Celtics' Stuff Howdy Pilgrim - NY Post

For all intents and purposes, Boston is now a team with a
20-point scorer at three key positions: power and small
forward plus point guard.

Byron Scott may have to go back to drawing board in
defensing Boston. Overloading the defense on Pierce can
be hazardous to their health. Its back to trial and error
for them.

How about the 42 cans of whupass and 16 boards delivered
by our pointguards?  "What were you doing out there Jason
Kidd" his team might be wondering. I don't want to overdo
that angle, I hope he gets over it fast. This is a guy
who drew blood punching his wife in the face in front of
his child, then spent the year parading his kid to
midnight press conferences strictly as a prop.

The Celtics game planned well. Obie knew that Richard
Jefferson and Kenyon Martin are erratic jump shooters so
far this year, and in their college careers too. Neither
is anything like a superstar at handling the ball or
creating shots for themselves. Like James Worthy in LA
before, these guys are in the perfect place to showcase
pure athleticism and cherry picking skills. Just dont
tell me they are All Stars, because the numbers arent
there. They are good defenders though. Amazing highlight
film athletes. Richard Jefferson seems way ahead of
Kedrick Brown in everything but shooting, rebounding and
defense. They met once at Shaw, but I didn't see the game.

What Obie and Delk said they would do, the team went out
and did. That still meant the usual number of
unchallenged shots for New Jersey. But the Nets were
hyped up or something. I think that contributed a bit to
how poorly they played. They had eleven missed FTs among
their many clangs. Its really dumb of them to put a
monkey on their back that shouldn't even be there.

One of the Nets announcers said early on that the team
hadn't faced defenses this good all year. That's nice to
hear. Mainly, you can't argue with the excellence of our
transition defense. And the usual good job of clogging up
the start of plays out beyond the top of the key. No more
headless chicken style full court presses.

The Celtics did a good job of not letting the refs get
under their skin. That's not going to be the story line,
since we won going away, but the Celtics showed good
veteran poise there. It was bad out there. That offensive
foul on Walker's basket (the one that got Obie a
technical) would not have been called at any level of
refereeing I've ever seen. If Obie had gotten himself
ejected a minute later on that foul on Pierce's dunk, I
wouldn't have blamed him even though it was a tight game.
On two other occasions, the (strangely unbiased) Nets
announcers said the Nets got lucky on a call in the first
half. One was that called jump ball with no one near
Pierce. I don't remember the other.

I thought Pierce had a terrible first half. He forced
almost every shot. And he wasn't even close on some free
throws. That's five more missed free throws, on top of 20
something misses in the Nets playoff series. He still
looks like the 22% shooter he's been on his outside shot
attempts. His closer teammates need to talk to him. Find
out if he's bugging.

Walker had a sloppy and stupid garbage time performance.
I think he wanted to make one of those long shots just to
throw a wiggle. Its no big deal I guess. One nice thing
about the game was there seemed to be no gloating
afterwards.

I loved that Larry Brown line the other day (quoting Dean
Smith): "Don't act like youve never done it before."
That is the kind of advice that transcends the context
(celebrating too much after a sports victory). It applies
to other situations too, obviously.

It really was "just a game". The Celtics scored the usual
number of points, and executed their base defense like
they needed to. They took care of business. Surprisingly,
the fans weren't very vocal. Its still hard to get worked
up about the Nets I guess.

There used to be a popular t-shirt slogan in Cambridge
where my sister and I lived. It went: "Yale hates Harvard
Harvard's indifferent." Factually, that's not even true.
But it's a nice retort to all of Byron Scott's efforts to
hype up a Nets-Celtics rivalry. I don't hold it against
him for trying, but get serious Byron the Boston Celtics
have our own rivalries.

(It goes both ways too. I seriously doubt the Yankees or
Dolphins get as worked about Boston rivalries as we like
to think.)

Game ball goes to Shammond Williams. This guy was
like: "rivalry? What rivalry?". He was loose and having
fun out there, like it was a Rucker game. It was another
fun win at the start of what should be a promising
season. Let's move on to the next game.

Go Celts!

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.