Re: New Owners?

At 01:17 PM 11/20/02 -0500, Bos3332@AOL.com wrote:
Just wondering if there has been any word out yet whether the new owners were
like Gaston or more willing to spend?
Tons of speculation both ways. They're at least fans to some degree, which is a step to the good from Gaston. OTOH they're also known as good businessmen and reportedly not huge fans of paying a luxury tax. They're looking at ways to get more funds, from re-negotiating the deal with the Fleece to taking on more partners, which could mean a bunch of things - the big question is what they intend to do with the funds when they get them. Don't think you'll really be able to tell until this summer.

Also when do they officially take over the team?
Probably Mid to late December. They want to do it before January, because otherwise Gaston gets more of the team profits. They are reportedly finalizing the funding. Like any other purchase and sale, there has to be a closing and then there has to be league approval after due diligence. Stern has said he doesn't expect there to be any problem with approval and I think I recall seeing an article within the past week that they've got the additional partner funding just about worked out.

Also anymore news about Bird and Belkin as possible investors in Boston?
Heard they might be problems in Charlotte with the city not helping with
Arena or something?
Honest, I wouldn't hold my breath on it and I thought I the city OK'd the arena, once it was for an expansion team and not George whatsisface that owns the team moved to New Orleans.

 Just wondering what u guys have heard, I am stuck in Ohio
with not much Celtics or any Boston area sports news.
That rots. Do you need the URLs for the Boston papers? They're pretty good about publishing any news or rumors about this stuff. Including McDonough in the Globe, separate from the people covering hoops per se.
Kim