Re: Thought

At 08:57 PM 11/15/2002 -0800, you wrote:
I didn't get to see much of the game, but it seems to
me Dallas might have been a good team against which to
unlease Sundov. He might have drawn out Bradley and
reduced his shot-blocking; Vin sure doesn't seem like
a good match against Bradley. And hey, wouldn't it
have been fun to see two seven-foot Euros out there
flinging up treys?
Sundov has sucked of late, which means he can't even hit his jumpers (and we know he won't rebound or play D).

And it wouldn't have mattered that Bruno can't play
defense, because when you allow Sean Bradley to score
10 points, you know your interior defense SUCKS.
Well, Bradley made a few jumpers, err, shots from 15 feet, cause he doesn't really jump. He also had clear dunks off a couple of penetrations by Nash. It's not like he's a complete stiff. He just hasn't lived up to the lofty expectations.

Anyway, the reason we lost the game was because 1) Pierce sucked; and 2) Nowitzki is just insane. Say what you will about Pitino, but he knew who was the better player. I know, it's unfair to compare Pierce and Nowitzki on an off night for Paul and a great night for Dirk. But I just don't know who can stop Nowitzki, while Pierce seems to have been figured out by the better defenses/coaches. I haven't seen him in such a funk since his rookie "underwater" days. What killed me about him, was that after his teammates had brought the Celtics from 16 down to 70-76, he stops on the fastbreak and lauches a 3 with a hand in his face. Clank. He was something like 4-19 at that moment, and Shammond and Delk, who had just knocked down a bunch of threes, were wide open. That was a killer. The next thing you know, Dirk and Co. nonchallantly drain a bunch of off-balance jumpers, and the Mavs are up 13 again.

The ex-FBI undercover agent Delaney was trying show everyone what a tough guy he is by teeing up Toine and Vinnie in quick succession. You'd think a guy like that wouldn't have a need for such histrionics. You'd be wrong. Then there was the ridiculous flagrant foul call on Williams. That destroyed any momentum we might have had up to that point.

The positives? Antoine was great, the PGs scored a bunch again (allthough Delk was struggling early), and Baker showed some hustle on defense (3 blocks!) and the boards. But you can't beat a team like the Mavs with Pierce stinking up the joint. How much do you want to bet that Pierce will be forcing it again tomorrow night, trying to show up George Karl? I can only hope that Paul rediscovers his touch, and that Karl coaches as well as he did at the Worlds.

Kestas