[no subject]

Walker and Pierce are almost certain to play much better
this year than they have thus far. Even a career average
statistical year would mean a substantial improvement.

In overcoming their less than ideal start, Obie's and his
team deserve a lot of credit. BTW, we are now
statistically on pace (tongue in cheek, dont worry) to
win over 60 games.

As I predicted, its becoming more commonplace for the
Celtics to make the big plays in the fourth quarter.
Pierce and Walker are in the first year of their
typical "prime" years in their superstar type
trajectories. Good talent doesn't win in the fourth
period. Good veteran talent does.

The difference, last night, is that Pierce and Walker
barely scored in the fourth, as we won handily.

So when fans talk about the possible return of the
leprechaun to the Fleet Center, my opinion is "there's
your leprechaun right in front of the bench".

I loved that calm smile on Obie's face in the second
quarter of the Minnesota game, when they made that
horrific run on us (31-12 or whatever). Obie is,
like, "okay, we can address this just as well without any
histrionics or showboating".

And the bottom line is that under Obie's game management,
we don't blow as many games like that anymore.

Obie was in the right place at the right time to get the
interim coaching title two years ago, but he's earned
everything else ever since IMO.

He has apparent roster holes few coaches would want, and
yet the team's averaging over 102 point per game this
month (6-0) and playing great defense again. The team
also overcame the adversity of a crap start.

And its not like he isn't Joe Blow non-innovator or risk
takerI remember at least one post this month that
absolutely trashed Obie in the midst of our winning
streak. What he's done is original to say the least, but
its working.

All that said, this IS a winning streak. Teams play well
in winning streaks. The numbers always come out looking
good.  Grunt players look great, but they then tend to
find their level. I don't think we can get too excited
(at heart, I'm a Red Sox fan so I know that early winning
streaks mean zilch).

This mini-6 game run is about the role players.

As others have noted, Eric Williams' career rebounding
average is one board every eight minutes (3.1 career).
Not to mention just 1.4 assists per game.

That kind of rebounding at ANY starting position these
days tends to hurt teams.

Last night, as we all saw, Eric Williams had 10 boards in
27 minutes. But what's equally impressive and
praiseworthy is that he had 8-rebound nights in three of
the last four games coming in as well.

That's four games out of five with 8 or more boards for
Eric. He's totally got his hard hat on. Its amazing what
(relatively) healthy knees will do for you. He's a much
better player this year than anticipated, so far.

But Tony Battie may be replacing EW as the defensive
alpha dog. He's had three or more blocks three games
during the winning streak. He's also averaging 8.8 boards
during the winning streak, and had seven offensive boards
against Philly. He's shot 50%. But more than all that,
his hustle and awareness stands out in setting an
energetic and alert defensive tone.

And most of all you have Tony Delk and Shammond "Hot
Sauce" Williams. If I were Obie I would be in full "I
told you so" mode. It isn't that we have a good point
guard situation now.

But the point is that we have a much better one for the
system than we did with Kenny.

TD and "Hot Sauce" (do you guys watch the "And One"
tour?) are each averaging above double figures, while
Kenny failed to do that last year.

Kenny did have 5.5 assists I think, but that is fewer
too, incidentally, than Delk-Shammond combined this year
(5.6).

What's more, let's talk about consistency. In all eight
games, Boston's point guard production has been at least
18 points (and that was the Wiz game). Its not 20 points
one night, 2-7 shooting the next.

Obie is getting 9 ppg on treys from that one position.

Imagine if we had that last year in the playoffs? We
would have mauled last year's Nets. We would have eaten
them alive.

As noted, Boston's point guards have maintained the same
number of assists as Kenny so far. But during the winning
streak we've also surpassed that figure from two other
positions. Paul Pierce is averaging 5.7 assists. Antoine
Walker is averaging 6.0 assists and setting the offense
in motion.

Is all this sustainable? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm almost
sure any decline will be balanced by improvements in
other areas (FG%, rebounding differential etc.).

And I think its at least semi-plausible that the role
players and bench can perform as well overall. Vin is
coming on. Kedrick's coming back.

Let's say that happens. Then this is a damn good
basketball team.

Long story short, this was a big win for the "Obie
Method" because the circumstances the Celtics overcame to
win it were even more impressive and heartening than the
win itself.

Another good thing is that we need a cushion ahead of the
tough weekend B2B.

Right now its kind of fun that Boston is in pole position
to be the lead ESPN story, as the first team to beat the
undefeated Dallas Mavericks. We'll eventually get cut
down to size good by someone, probably these guys. But if
we have to play a far superior team, this is a good
moment.

I'm actually more worried about the next grudge match
between Pierce and "Mr Popularity" George Karl. That game
could go in any of many directions.

In any case, I haven't posted all week but I'm loving
everything right now! I give Obie and the role players
infinite credit for this win streak.

Looking at the season schedule, there is hope for a few
more good runs of this kind (quite a few, actually).
Play .500 ball and put together three more of these 5-
game type mini-streaks, and your at 50-wins right there.
That's what I'm hoping will happen.

Last random thought and I'll quit, hopefully for a long
time. ;-)  My view is that Vin Baker might not get boo-ed
once any time this first season on his homecourt. For one
thing, he's such a sympathetic character. You can see
every emotion on his face. For another thing, his skills
are so distinct on this roster. Its something we haven't
seen in a long time...a guy whose low post moves actually
often end in a clear, no-jumping required, look at the
basket from two feet away. And lastly, I don't think fans
blame Vin for the contract his former owner gave him.

I'm talking only about this season (and I'm totally just
guessing). The harshness of the reality (contract) will
sink in eventually. At least, you'll never see me booing
this guy. I guess I should just speak for myself! ;-)

Joe H.

p.s. Back in the USA for the first time in ten years, I
planned to view all 82 Celtics games. That string will be
broken on Friday (the Dallas game) thanks to a
regrettable pledge I made meet-my-wife's-artsy-new-NY-
friends, but I hope the rest of you make it through the
season. I wonder which IGTC person has the longest
viewing streak? I can probably make a few guesses!
Anyway, if anyone's still reading this thanks and
apologies for going on forever, but its been a week. Over
and out. Go Celtics! Beat the Mavs! (and then the Bucks)!

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?